Receiver poewer outlet

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Erik.Ha, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

I have a Denon 3803 which has two "power outlets" on the back of it. I thought it might be a cool idea to plug the TV (27" Sony CRT) into one of these so that turning on the receiver turns on the TV as well.

Is there any problem with doing this?

2. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

Yes, the problem with doing this is that you more than likely will eventually burn out the receiver, perhaps even immediately. Those switched outlets are designed only for low power consumption devices such as CD players, VCRs, DVD players, etc. Typically the rating is listed right at the outlet, and usually is around 100W or 1A maximum. There may be a few TV's that fall under that rating, but a 27" Sony I doubt is one of them. [​IMG]

Aaron Gilbert

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Well, not exactly the receiver. What would eventually (not immediately) fry would be the power switch, or the power relay, since they carry the load of the switched outlets.

Quibble aside, Erik, Aaron is right. If the TV pulls more amperage than the outlets are rated for, you’re asking for eventual problems.

If you really want to be able to switch the TV with the receiver (and it would have to be a TV with a hard-button switch) you could look into getting a line conditioner/power manager with switched outlets. The older-model Adcom ACE-515’s I have will do this.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Thanks all... Wont be plugging that in... Ill just set the remote macro and AIM better...