What's new

Receiver plus Pre- amp (1 Viewer)

John Lem

Auditioning
Now that I bought the Yamaha 1400, I wished I should have went pre/pro instead. Can I just add an amplifier to it and just use the yamaha 1400 as my processor instead of buying another one. If so, what pre amp can I pair with the yamaha 1400. Will it make a big difference in sound? Is it worth doing it? All comments are welcome and appreciated whether positive or negative. And if there is a link for this subject matter please let me know. Thank you.

John Lem

Auditioning
Well, does anybody have any idea what other forums do I need to post this to get a response. thanks.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Are you dissatisfied with the Yamaha's sound quality? If so, just trade it in for a dedicated pre/pro. Another option is to add a two-channel pre-amp for music and use the Yamaha for processing movies.

As for adding an amp, it will depend on your room(how big it is), your equipment, and your listening habits(how loud you like it). Do you notice that it starts to sound thinner and more compressed as you turn the volume up? If so, then adding an amp can make an improvement. If you plan on eventually moving to a pre/pro then adding an amp can be your first stepping stone towards seperates.

There are alot of threads similiar to yours, so if you do a search there should be plenty of info. Of course, if you have additional questions, we will be happy to address them here too.

Good luck,

DJ

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Psst - it often takes 24 hours to get a response. But even the most impatient will generally wait more than 9 hours before complaining about it.

WRT to your question, David hit most of the points. Yes, you can add an amp, either 2 channel or multi-channel. You could also add a 2 channel pre-amp. Or you could return the 1400 and buy a processor, although you will probably wind up spending quite a bit more.

Which is the best solution for you depends on a lot of factors: your budget; your preferences; the rest of your system; your room; your future upgrade plans.

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
John,

IMO, the sound quality opens up when you use an outboard amp...how much depends upon the amp itself. You can just use the Yamaha as a pre-pro having it do all the decoding. Good luck!

John Lem

Auditioning
Thanks for the info guys and somebody emailed me some links from Avs forum and it did help me a lot. Again thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks