Receiver Performance and Cooling?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lyden, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

Hi all
    i have a Pioneer VSX-D810s and im wondering if i open up the reciver and replace the heatsink with a high quality copper heatsink and then replace the thermal compound with silver thermal compound would it increase the cooling performance of my reciver and would that change anyhting about the recivers overall performance?... sorry about any typos and other things im useing my TV since the monitor cought fire somehow and i cant see much font. if you can could you please use a bigger font or type in caps so i can read better thanks alot [​IMG])

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

So...you have a chronic problem with your equipment burning up?
    I would not suggest opening up the unit and replacing heat sinks because

- This would void the warrenty.
    - The receiver is designed to run at a given temperature range that you would be fooling with.
    - It's a lot easier to give the receiver more space for venting or install a quiet $15 electric fan.

3. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

4. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

i agree totally..get a fan...i have a great pioneer elite receiver that tends to run hot...a quiet fan on the back of my rack works great!!!
    i got a quiet fan panel from middle atlantic...115 volt fans - 2 of them in a panel...very quiet and yet they move alot of air..
    http://middleatlantic.com/rackac/cooling/cooling.htm
    russ

5. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

hmm thanks you all and good idea i love this reciver i wouldnt want it to die on me opening it up to change the heatsinks is kinda big job i do still have to take it appart to repair a few problems with speaker terminals .... void warrenty??? what warrenty i was told it doesnt have one cuz it was damaged instore and it was their responsability to return it for repairs some warranty babble about it alredy being voided when i purchest it ...but i dont want ot lose this baby the 810s looks alot beter then the 811s... i love the boxy look thats why HK's are just soo damn pretty IMO onceagain thanks all [​IMG]