What's new

receiver output to multi amps (1 Viewer)

MykeH

Auditioning
i have a denon avr-2802 receiver and wanted to know if it's possible to split the pre-amp outputs to drive 2 seperate amps. i ask this because i'm interested in using the receiver as the center of 2 theater setups (one in the bsmt and one in the mstr bedrm) since all the audio and video is feeding into the existing receiver. the other obvious choice would be to buy another rcvr/dvd/cd/etc and locate it in the 2nd theater. hate to have to move dvd's & cd's everytime i want to watch or listen. any other suggested set up would be much appreciated. thanks.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Myke,
NO
The prospect of shlepping cds and dvds from one room to another pales into insignificance in comparison to what your thinking.

What you would probably need would be the reverse which is extra amps to boost the Denons power. Even if that model has a zone 2, it would only be 2ch.

Peter m.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
While it would probably work, IMO, this would not be a very easy way to go. The reason is that the pre-amp outputs are controlled by the master volume control of your 2802. So if you are playing a DVD into both theaters and decide to change the volume in HT #1, it will also change the volume a similar amount in HT #2. Something that would likely be frowned upon in HT #2. Of course, if you are never going to run both at the same time, this situation goes away.

Something else to consider...I have never tried running low level interconnects much farther than 20 or 30 feet. If you are going to run them very far, you might have trouble with both level and interference. Others with more experience in this area than me could help here. Plus, couldn't this much interconnect cabling get pretty costly???

Another issue is remote control from HT #2 back to #1. There are a few gizmos that will convert ir to rf and back that would probably work but you would want to test them in your home. Sometimes there is interference that restricts their use...

Just thought of another issue that wouldn't be good. Individual channel level matching in each HT. Unless you buy amps that have input level volume controls, it's likely that you could not have balanced channel levels in both setups. One would be right or the other...not both. (There are amps that have these but not many.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks