What's new

Receiver or pre/pro with dual multi-channel inputs? (1 Viewer)

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know of an affordable unit (sorry, no krell, levinson, etc.) with more than one multi-channel input? I'm happy with my CD and SACD players so I don't want to go universal but I would like a add an inexpensive DVD-A player to my system...

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
adcom 880 and i think a sony has it...

the only thing about the 880, and im not 100% sure, is that the 2nd set of multi channel ins is in the THX standard, i.e. a db25 cable...if you find a dvd audio machine (or if your SACD) with a db25 output, then its not too hard to find a cable, otherwise you need a db25 to rca wire, they are expensive and rare...

you can see the back of the adcom 880 on onecall.com
the SACD in, is a db25 adapter...

I have no idea why Adcom did this, maybe to save room or something...but i think it makes the 2nd set almost useless...very few machines had a db25 out, i know onkyo did, but its rare, and since this is a new product....

Rich

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
Rich:

Looks like the Sony has it - they mention a 5.1 and a 7.1 input...not sure about the sound quality of using this unit as a pre/pro in my system.

Jason:

5803 (even used) out of my budget but thanks...

Seem like a niche here that some manufacturer could fill. I can't be the only person looking at this...

gregD

Second Unit

You're not... but the AV manufacturers aren't listening... lots of users would like to have separate DVDA and SACD players.

If you're on a tight budget, and you already have a receiver with a multichannel input, and don't mind a little manual switching, a pair of AV switchers from Radio Shack can be a decent band-aid... I haven't used them, but others on the forum have with success... you might try searching a thread on that.

There are also more advanced switchers -- some with remotes -- around the $400 level and beyond... but at that point you're getting into receiver $$$.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
you have to call the phone # on the website and ask for it, they don't list it for some reason. if you say "db25 to rca adaptor" they know what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks