Receiver or Amp??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_T_, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Mike_T_

Mike_T_ Stunt Coordinator

I have been trying to figure out for some time now what direction to take regarding how to power my current set up. I've posted several items regarding Amplifiers etc. With my current situation, what would you suggest I do?

I have a Yamaha RX-V795 85WPC Receiver..

Studio 100's

Studio CC Center

PS-1000 sub

Eosone tower surrounds

I do NOT have enough power to run the 100's although they sound fantastic regardless. I'm not 100% sold on the idea of a pre amp over a receiver. However, I do realize having an external amp is going to be necessary eventually.

Would it be more beneficial to me at this time to upgrade the receiver to something pretty high end like a nice Denon or HK etc. OR, keep my Yammy for now and just get a good amp to run at least the front 3.

The pre amp part that has me worried is if I want a rear center surround like 6.1 or DTS ES etc. If I were to do this with a pre amp, I'd need to buy more than one amplifier. If I stick with a GOOD receiver, I can power all but the front 3 channels with more than enough power letting an external amp do the rest.

Hope this wasn't too long, and hopefully it doesn't start some wicked thread about the seperate/ receiver argument..

Thanks all!

2. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

How much money are you willing to spend to better your sound?

Jer

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

4. Leo

Leo Second Unit

I am in a similar situation using a Yamaha RX-V995 but I decided to power the rear 2 channels with the Yamaha and 3 Marantz MA-500 to power the front channels. I did this because I wanted to go with outboard amps (getting between 5-7 amps) and then replacing the Yamaha with a dedicated pre/pro. The 3 MA-500 are wonderful. They power PSB Image 4T's and 8C in the front channels. I'd recommend powering the fronts with separate amps.

Leo

5. Shane G

Shane G Agent

Mike;

If you can wait on the new surround formats, why not just get the amp now.

It sounds like you feel that if you get a new receiver now, you will still have to get an amp later to power your 100's to their full potential.

So buy the amp now, and give your self some more time to look at the seperates vs. receiver issue.

The good thing about waiting is, new technology always comes up, or you could buy that receiver you wanted second hand.

6. Mike_T_

Well here's where it gets confusing... If I get an Amp now do I get a 2 channel, 3, 5 etc. because I'd love to just save some money and get a 2 channel amp for the 100's but then if I decide to go seperate, I still need to buy a 5 channel amp and a pre amp (5 channels for 6.1 etc).

If I decide to get a receiver, I'd be willing to spend $2000 to get a 'high end' receiver. Then, I'd know I just need a good 2-3 channel amp in the future and in the mean time I'd be happy with the great sound and extra power from a new receiver.

I just keep thinking that a new amp would be great, but I'd still be using the Yammy components which are good, but can be MUCH better...

That's the thing these days, receivers are becoming computer-like as fast as technology changes. I'd love to try Pro logic II for music etc. but man...every other month they introduce something new.

I really don't think I'll ever decide!!!

7. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I'm surprised no one has recommended that you get the Outlaw 950 pre/pro. I am not recommending it either way. I'm just surprised that no one has.

8. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Mike: How well I follow your tortuous path. BTDT.

First we think of how little it will take to get moving up: say two Marantz monoblocks for the mains; oh, why not get 3 to keep the front stage equal, and let the Yamaha 100Wx5 breath easier with just the surrounds. Oh yeah...but...

Finally I just decided my 2-yr-old 5.1 Yam w/o DPII will do me fine for a couple more years, and I sprung for a 200Wx5 external amp for all five speakers. Big, powerful result: I had to recalibrate my speakers DOWN 10dB with the new amp to achieve the same 75dB reference. YMMV.

Selling point? Amp design doesnt change year to year so it will be there if and when I replace the Yam AVR with a pre/pro. Discrete 6.1 and 7.1 are not in my future anyway.

9. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Mike,
    I'm in somewhat of the same boat, I have an RX-V596 and Monitor 90P mains. I have decided to go with a good 5 channel amp (Rotel, Sherbourn, ATI) and use the 596 as a pre/pro for the time being. Eventually, the 596 will be replaced with a dedicated pre/pro and when I expand to from my current 5.1 to 7.1. Then I can add a top quality 2 channel amp (Bryston, Classe) to power the 90P's (hopefully Studio 100's by then).
    I like this path because I think it affords me the best balance between quality, budget and flexibility. The RX-V596 will accept 6.1 inputs, but not 7.1 and so would need to be replaced in another year or 2 anyway. In the meantime, I get a good 5 channel amp that will be a big improvement over the amps in the 596, while still having the option to add a true high-end 2 channel amp after upgrading to a dedicated pre/pro. At that time the 5 channel amp can be shifted to driving the center, surround and rear speakers. So nothing is wasted and and I can upgrade selectively as circumstances change.
    YMMV [​IMG]

10. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Sounds like everyone is saying the same thing: keep your receiver and add a new amp. Trust me when we all say the extra power from the amps (plus the relief it takes off the Yamaha) will be very nice. I'm in the market for 2 more Marantz MA-500 to round out my existing 3 amps. And the nice part for me with the monoblocks is when a new format comes out, I can add additional monoblocks to support it. Currently the home theater I built supports 7.2 (2 subwoofer channels - 1 front & 1 rear).

Enjoy and good luck in your decision.

Leo

11. Mike_T_

Well it sounds like the Amp will really make a big difference in the sound. So much so that I'll be able to live with the Yamaha sound (which certainly isn't that bad) until the pre amp arrives down the line. Thanks for the advice!!!!! I'll post my findings with the new amp when I get one...soon I hope!