What's new

Receiver or Amp and Processor (1 Viewer)

SeanAH

Stunt Coordinator
Right now im looking to drop about 1200 on speakers, i would like to spend about 700 on my receiver or 8-900 on an processor/amp. Since this really isnt much for speakers in the audio world. Would it be a waste of money to get an processor/amp, until when i day comes that i invest more into my speakers?

Any suggestions on receivers or processors/amps in this price range.

I was looking at the denon 2601
Or the Yamaha rxv2500

For now, I'd go with the receiver. First, and foremost, you can't get a pre/processor and amp for eight to nine hundred.

Even Outlaw Audio, which sells some of the most cost effective home theater components available cant' do that. Their least expensive preamp/processor is $700, and then you'd have to add an amp. Their least expensive seven channel amp is another $700, and a better bet would be their 125 watt per channel amp at $1,000.

So for that money you'll be looking at receivers. Having said that, both Denon and Yamaha make nice products. I've always been partial to Marantz myself, but Denon and Yamaha are always highly rated for their sound quality as well.

I think maybe you ment the Denon AVR-2106? Instead of the 2601?

I'd see which unit I liked the look and feel of, and which I could get the better price on. I think they'll both sound fine.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
sean if i were you, i would just get the rx-v2500 first. then someday later, i would upgrade the speakers. and then if it turned out i need more power, i would try to find a used amplifier to help the rx-v2500.

but i think a set of 5.1 speaker worth 1200 dollar should be fine with a receiver worth around 300-400 dollar...

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
My $0.02.

Denon 1706 as a recevier, or maybe the 1806 for 10 more watts per channel and a few features.

Then look over at SVSound.com at their new speaker package. you can get 5.1 for $899 I think it was, looks like a great deal and based on past experiences I've read with their other speakers it's got potential to be a great deal.

You'll never regret spending the $$ on the speakers, you will regret spending the $$ on an amp/preamp or a receiver and not spending it on the speakers.

To me, speakers aren't something you will 'need' to replace every few years. They're a long term investment. However in just the 7 years that I've been 'in' to home theater I've 'needed' to upgrade twice. Yet the speakers I bought in 1999 are still going strong (barring the one year old son putting a dent in a driver on my speaker with his tiny finger, yet that didn't affect the ouput)

Just my $0.02.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks