Receiver Options

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barry_R, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Barry_R

Barry_R Stunt Coordinator

My wife is asking for gift suggestions for my 40th BD. She says price is not a concern (Yeah, she's great). I'd really like to upgrade my HT receiver, and would like to keep it in the $500 range (or a little more) to be reasonable. I'd like something newer, with DPL II, to drive my 5.1 Yammie speaker system. If possible, would like to have the ability to use it for video switching for Progressive DVD, Cable, VCR, etc. (I'm currently using direct video connections to my Tosh 55HX70, which can be a pain).
    Any experts out there with suggestions ??? Thanks.

2. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Stunt Coordinator

Yesterday I ordered the Outlaw 1050. $495 plus shipping. outlawaudio.com. It does SIX channels!
    I did a lot of research especially on THIS BOARD! People were very helpful. I will tell you how it sounds Tomor if you email me. You can search this board for posts about the product or go to Yahoo or CNET and search for info on their prodcuts and feel free to email me.
    -Michael
    mbotvinick@trimedyne.com
    ------------------

3. Barry_R

Thanks, I hadn't looked at the Outlaw. With all the talk of the Marantz, and the S&V review, I think I'll steer clear of that one. I had been looking at one of the Onkyo's, but the opinions seem to be that there are better options out there. I'm really interested in one of the new Yamaha's, but I've not heard from anyone that actually has one yet.
    Barry.

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Barry: My thought is that you should put Dolby Pro Logic II as a must. It really is a big improvement over original DPL and if you are like alot of us, you've still got quite a bit of 2 channel source material to run through it (old video tapes, 2 channel TV programming, etc.)
    If you can take your time, most all makers will have product with DPL II in stores by the end of the year. Available now are Denon, Kenwood, Onkyo. Apparently, Yamaha will soon have their new models out, Sherwood, Pioneer and hopefully the DB series of Sony will soon follow.
    My suggestion is to try to visit retail outlets and check all of these out (or at least as many as you can) for yourself. Make sure you get the features and number of inputs you need. Check your favorites back here at the forum for additional input. Check go for it.

5. Barry_R

Chuck, thanks for your suggestions. I probably won't be purchasing it until mid-december, so I have some time to research. I've been following all of the other topics on receivers and have been learning a lot about the Denon, and others. I too initially thought that Pro Logic II was a must, but have also read many who say that it is not as great as it's made out to be.
    Some questions, is having the ability for video component switching worth whatever extra cost there is ? Do those that have it really use it ? Is this what seperates the cost on higher end units? Do you lose video quality for the convenience of one unit switching?
    Thanks to everyone for answers here and other threads on this board.
    Barry.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

just some random thoughts on receivers.
    i like onkyo, denon, yamaha and (from what i hear) outlaw. any of those receivers will yield excellent results. i give a slight edge to onkyo because they (imo) offer a few more features at the same price-point without sacrificing amplifier performance. but i would be very happy with any of those brands.

7. Phuong

Phuong Stunt Coordinator

You might wanna look at Denon's new receivers. I just bought a 1602 for $300 and am quite impressed with this entry-level model. The radio sucks (nothing unusual) but it sounds clean so far. The remote supposedly sucks, but that's not an issue with me. The 80 Hz crossover is great. It works perfectly with my Paradigm Atoms. I switched back and forth between LARGE and SMALL and couldn't detect a difference. Therefore, the crossover doesn't interfer with the speakers natural cutoff, but at the same time doesn't send bass signals to the speaker, thereby increasing amp headroom. The more expensive Denon models (2802, 3802, 4802) have adjustable crossovers so you can use bigger speakers and a 60 Hz crossover (as low as I'd go in the bass management). So far so good with this receiver. I took a lot of time researching the best entry-level receiver. I think this model will keep my happy for many years to come.
    Peace, and happy listening.

8. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

The Outlaw is a great piece and has bass management, but it does not have DPL11 which is a nice feature that can be had in other receivers in this price range. I think the Denon 2802? has DPL11.
    Russ

9. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

I'd look at the Onkyo 696 and Denon 2802 in this price range. I think they both list for $699, but you should be able to find either one for under $600. They both have plenty of inputs, enough power for average sized living rooms with reasonably efficient speakers, and both sound quite good. They also have all the current features like DPLII and DTS ES/DD EX 6/7.1 channel surround, which some of the other brands haven't caught up with yet.
    I think the Denon sounds just a little better, but the Onkyo has a MUCH better learning remote. The 696 has component video switching, but at this price point I doubt it will do a good job with progressive/HDTV signals (as a 3300 owner I speak with disappointed experience).
    The Yamaha 800 looks pretty good, too, but I don't think it has DPLII. And keep in mind that list on the 3802 just dropped to $1000, so you might want to stretch a little.
    Peter

10. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Barry: To address your questions on DPL II and component inputs...
    I'll be the first to admit that a good bit of this hobby is subjective. What is important to you may not be such a big deal to me. With that in mind, I have found DPL II to be the biggest and best thing to happen to 2 channel matrix-based surround since I began messing around with this stuff (for over 25 years.) It just sounds SOOOOO much better than old Pro Logic. After I upgraded my main system to include DPL II in early August, I went just 2 weeks later to replace my bedroom system receiver (to include DPL II) too. After having now lived with DPL II for a couple of months, I would not recommend anyone buying something that doesn't have it.
    As for component inputs, they are indeed a nice perk. But you need to be aware that all receiver component circuits are not created equal. Only the HIGHEST priced receivers have component inputs that will pass HDTV (from my understanding, at least a 50 MHz bandwidth is needed.) None of the units you would be considering would work with signals much higher than the current DVD standard (which I think is around 25 to 30 MHz.) While I have not personally looked at the difference between an S-video connection and one of the lower bandwidth component connections, many users have reported that the differences are not always easily noticeable (note I'm not saying there is no difference.) So, I guess my opinion is that if you want/get component inputs...great. If not, maybe not a big deal?? (BTW, the Denon 2802 does have component inputs.)
    Good Luck!