Receiver Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianDD, Jul 1, 2002.

1. BrianDD

BrianDD Agent

I am looking for some opinions on receivers to be used basically as a preamp. I am using a Pioneer VSX-24TX now along with a Parasound 855 5 channel amp and an HK PA2000 bridged to two channels. The receiver itself is only running a second set of Polk side surrounds I had left over before my upgrade to all Klipsch Ref 3 series. Before anyone asks, yes, I have considered just getting a preamp but the Outlaw 950 is the only one that has all the features I want (DD EX, DTS ES, PLII) and is even close to my budget (~$800). I really don't want to wait forever to get the Outlaw. The models I am considering are: Denon 2802/3802, Yamaha RXV-1200/2200, and the Sony STR-DA5ES. Right now I am leaning towards the Sony. I have never been a fan of them but I was very impressed with its sound quality and features. It is hard to judge a receiver when you aren't going to be using the built in power. I would appreciate any opinions on these models.

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Many on this forum think the 3802 for the money is a top choice for a receiver/pre/pro. The same can be said of the DA5ES with it's extremely flexible/customizable bass management.

I'm currently using the H/K 510 with the same Parasound amp yielding great sound. Based on this, I would also include the 520 in your list unless you've already discounted it for some reason.

IMO, a plus to H/K or Denon is the internal amping should you require it at any time.

3. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I think if you are going to be using the receiver as a pre then I would definitely go with the Sony 5ES. It is the most flexible out of the bunch.