Receiver on it side

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Matthew McGuire, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Matthew McGuire

Matthew McGuire Auditioning

Does anyone see any issues with putting my receiver on its side. Weird I know but you will not actually see it so looks are not important.

Thanks

2. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Yeah, you'll overheat it. The air vents are usually on the top plate of the receiver.

JKS

3. Matthew McGuire

What about if the top (side in my case) is free from obstructions?

4. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

The issue is with the heat rising inside the receiver, which normally escapes out of the vents on the top. With it on it's side, it will get trapped at the top possibly causing a problem.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Apart from heat dissipation issues, my main concern with doing something like this has to do with the various components that're inside now being expected to remain securely fastened to the circuit board at a 90 degree angle. This is going to put lateral strains on the board possibly leading to some sort of premature failure due to circuit board fractures, delamination, components working their way loose. So anything that has some weight to it like capacitors, power supplies, anything like that is going to put torque on the boards. If it doesn't matter to you, then what can anyone say, right?

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Although things get pretty handily bashed around while shipped. A lot of products get shipped via UPS... i think if these recievers can only handle such "special" soft care duroing shipping [​IMG] I don't think puttin them sideways will make any difference.

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

we're talking long term here, not shipping, but like i said, if you're comfortable with it, knock yourself out.

9. Matthew McGuire

not worth the risk. i will not be putting it on its side.

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

orangevale? i think you're right around the corner from me...

i also would *not* put the receiver on it's side.

i think i replied in that other thread too...some nonsense about heat rising and cooking along the entire length of your circuit board. [​IMG]

i actually never thought about chu's gravity-load-theory...but it kinda makes sense to me. especially if you have big-arse power supply or large capacitors.