Receiver On All The Time?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Monio, Mar 22, 2001.

1. Bob Monio

Bob Monio Extra

Is it both feasible and wise to leave your receiver on at all times? I have my receivers installed now (along with my multiplexors, etc.) and love the results. I'm just curious if it is okay to leave them on consistently when someone isn't using the TVs.
    Thanks!
    -Bob
    ------------------

2. Rob Roth

Rob Roth Stunt Coordinator

If they are surge protected and well ventilated I would say yes. In general electronics don't like being powered up and down. Your receiver is probably like many components these days and has a 'sleep' or standby function which consumes a minimum of power but keeps essential circuits alive.

3. Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson Stunt Coordinator

They are on all the time (unless unplugged).
    They are constantly downloading guide data, listening for PPV clears, email, software upgrades, new channels, etc.
    Basically the only thing powering down the unit from the remote does is cut the audio/video outputs.

4. Bob Monio

Bob Monio Extra

Thanks for the replies. I'll leave them on then. BTW - how often do you have to "re-channel"? I've noticed that sometimes when it's foggy outside that you have to reclick the channel and the fuzzyness of the sound goes away and it's clear.
    Thanks again for your help!
    -Bob
    ------------------

5. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

6. Bob Monio

Bob Monio Extra

DirecTV. The fade you're describing is probably what this is - I'm just a newbie and getting to understand/experience it all.
    Thanks.
    -Bob
    ------------------

7. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Doesn't sound like it, unless your timing is really good. You can't "fix" rain/snow fade by re-tuning the channel. The rain/snow has to move out of the path between your dish and the bird. If you're having to re-tune channels, I'm wondering if you don't have a receiver problem...
    ------------------
    "Ahhh...the Luftwaffe... The Washington Generals of the History Channel..."

8. Bob Monio

Bob Monio Extra

The problem doesn't seem to have occurred again during the recent days. In fact, I've now gotten the Dolby signals, etc., all working as they should.
    I really like this better than my old cable - although it's a bit more expensive (9$), I get clear pictures, good sound, and approximately 100 more channels.
    -Bob
    ------------------