Receiver matched for Athena's?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Scottt_B, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Scottt_B

Scottt_B Auditioning

I work at Best Buy, and my discount is good enough that I am not going to shop for a mid-fi system anywhere else.

I've read for hours on threads about how everyone loves the athena Audition series. I want to audition some, but don't know what receiver to get.

On other threads I read how the Yamaha receivers don't match well with the athena's because of the bright/bright combination. Another guy said he liked a Pioneer Elite w/ his athena's, but Best Buy only sells 2 models of regular Pioneer's.

If it was your choice, and you were limited to Best Buy's selection of Kenwood, Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, and Yamaha receivers, what receiver would you pick to match an athena system, and why?

.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat03031&type=category&parentCatID=false&initialize=false&initialize=true&_requestid=53140

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Can you get your hands on the new digital Kenwood receiver? Model: VRS-7100.

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

If you are getting the bookshelf Athenas I'd look at the Panasonic, but for the floorstanders I'd get something a little more power capable

B

4. Dwayne-S

Dwayne-S Agent

Yamaha HTR-5790

5. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Dwayne...do you have an Athena/5790 set-up?

6. Scottt_B

Scottt_B Auditioning

Thanks for the replies, I would like to get the AS-F2, AS-B2, AS-C1, AS-P400 setup.

The Panasonic SA-HE200S, with 780W in 6.1, isn't powerful enough for the AS-F2's??

I've heard Pioneers are warm receivers, are Panasonics warm as well? And what about Sony and Kenwood?

7. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

You should check out some of the posts at the AVS forum also. In the threads on the Panasonic digital receivers, there is discussions starting to surface regarding this digital receiver.

There could be lots of good in the Kenwood digital receiver. Just waiting on more reports to surface, though.

8. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

The As-f2 in particular sound MUCH better when run through higher quality amps with lots of power.

B
    Buy the speaker from there, and get a refurb Denon from Ecost.

9. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

From what I've heard, and as Brentl has stated, the AS-F2s are best driven by a serious amp. They just sound better.
    I have athenas up front now, but the AS-B2s and AS-C1. Love 'em. Great choice for the money, especially since you get the discount.
    BTW, my slightly warm denon is a great match to the speakers. They don't sound harsh to me at all.

10. Scottt_B

Scottt_B Auditioning

Thanks guys, I'll look into getting a Denon.