What's new

Receiver making grating noise... (1 Viewer)

JayKellen

Stunt Coordinator
Just recently, my receiver, when I first turn it on, starts making this fairly loud rumble sound, almost a grating sound off and on for up to a few minutes, then it goes away. Is it overheating? Is it time for a new receiver? It is an RCA 650 watt 5.1 system just to let you know. It is tough to describe the sound with just typing words, but it almost sounds like a purring sound. Can anyone tell me what is going on?.. thanks for your help

Chad_

Grip
I'll give it a shot... if the receiver has a fan inside it, perhaps the fan is dying or is congested with dust, etc... that could cause some noise and it may eventually get spinning just fine after a few minutes. It's a longshot guess, but you seem desperate for ideas... my computer makes nasty sounds when a fan in it is having issues... so maybe a receiver could do it also?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Also, anyone here can tell you that that RCA receiver does not put out "650 watts." Sounds like you have an HTiB. At any rate, call your dealer or call RCA's service department.

Greg_Hammond

Agent
I'm leaning towards what Chad said. If the noise is coming from the receive itself (and not the speakers) then it's most likely a mechanical thing like a dirty fan.

I doubt it's overheating, since you said it occurs when you first turn it on -- at which point the receiver is cold, and not overheated.

If it's a fan, you can probably clean it yourself. If it's something solid-state that is causing the issue, you'll have to send it back to RCA for repair or replace it.

Greg

650 watts does sound a bit far fetched for RCA, you're talking about 130 watts per channel. It might be at 10% THD for that rating. More than likely it's a 65 watt RMS per channel model.

JayKellen

Stunt Coordinator
thank you for helping me, ill try to clean the fan and see if that works...i appreciate it guys and gals...

EvanW

Stunt Coordinator
im gonna have to agree with chad on this one also its the fan most likely in my computer ive got a aspire heatsink with a oversized fan in a dusty room and after a few months it will start to make some of the noises u describe. So i clean it out alittle and its fine. If you dont want to take the "hood" off that thing u call a receiver then just get a can of compressed air and shoot the ran with it might clean off enough.

650 watts of pure walmart sound ;),i know i almost bought one several years back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks