receiver keeps shutting off

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by anthony_s, Jan 8, 2004.

1. anthony_s

anthony_s Agent

Hi all.
    I have a Yamaha RX-V692 receiver and a Yamaha DDP-1 sound processor. When I am watching DVDs the receiver will shit off when the volume is louder such as action scenes or loud sound effects. Sometime it occurs after 15 minutes or sometimes not for an hour or so.
    The equipment is rather old, however it does not do this when watching satellite, just DVDs.
    The set up has worked fine up until a few weeks ago so I don't know what other reason it could be other than it is getting ready to give up the ghost. I thought of things like overheating and loose cables, but that doesn't make sense to me considering the above information.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!

2. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

most receivers have some sort of protection circuit which cuts off power if it is in danger of damaging the unit. I've seen a friend's Sony receiver do this after a couple hours of loud music...his receiver would be physically HOT though. Either you are overworking your receiver, or there is something wrong with it that is causing it to overheat. Sounds like yours is likely on its way to audio heaven.

3. anthony_s

anthony_s Agent

Yeah, if it is over-heating after an hour or so something is not right.
    I wonder why it wuld only happen with DVDs though. I think that is weird...
    Thanks!

4. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

I've had two HT recievers and both have shut off - particularly when I first hooked them up. My problem was sloppy speaker connections. Make sure that your speaker wire is not touching any other speaker wire. I more tightly wound my exposed wire and made sure they weren't touching each other, and I haven't had a shut-down since. Good luck!