What's new

Receiver keeps shutting off - HELP!!!! (1 Viewer)

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I just got my SPL meter (finally), so I took the advice of many in here and rearranged my speakers to be more sound friendly and I could hear the improvement immediately. I realized that my speakers were too cluttered before and that would affect the sound. However, my situation is this. I have a Yamaha RXV-1000 receiver. I have all my speakers set to small. As I was going through the AVIA disk, whenever it got to the LFE sound, my reciever turned off. I went past the LFE section, to the main speakers....again, the receiver turned off. I only had the volume between -40dB and -35dB. Really, not that loud at all. In the past, I've watched movies with my speakers louder and have had no problems. This only happend one other time, during a THX into.
My new setup is in the link above. You can see my speaker specs in my original HT setup when you click on the speakers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope this can be resolved without having to get a new, more powerful receiver (or amp). I was under the impression this receiver was more than enough to handle my speakers and sub. It's done a good job over the past year until now.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Check your speaker wires at both the receiver end, and the speaker end. I suspect you have one or two strands of copper sticking out causing a short during the power-hungry low-frequency sounds.
As David suggested - check the temperature of your receiver. Too much LFE will heat up your equipment and cause it to go into PROTECT mode - shut itself off to prevent damage. (The lobby explosion scene in The Matrix did this to many receivers :) )

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think it's a temperature thing. It's on the top of my shelf, in the basement, and it rarely gets above 30 degrees here (around 80F?)in the middle of summer. Plus, I had just turned it on after it being off for a day or so. I'll double check the cables right now, but I think they're ok, since I unplugged most of them when I rearranged the room.

Edit:
I just checked the wires...they seem ok. Just a question though. Some of the wires on the speakers and the banana plugs (only for my mains - all the rest are bare wire), go through to the other side. The bare wire on the banana plugs isn't touching anything. I'm assuming that's ok.

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
Bob, You were sorta correct. I slept on it and double checked the wires again this morning. I'm not sure how I missed it yesterday, but the two wires going into the banana plug for my front left speakers were touching. I separated them better and cranked my system up - the power stayed on.

I went through the whole AVIA disk with no problems.

Thanks!! It's sounding better than ever!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Good to hear we solved it.

Neatness does count with speaker connections. I'm a big fan of the dual-banana plugs from Radio Shack (xxx-308) that make it easy to do a neat wire job with a very strong mechanical connection. I use these for behind my speakers. For behind my receiver, the single bananas (xxx-306) work very well. As long as you are carefull to trim the wires, there will be no loose bits of copper sticking out.

Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks