What's new

receiver is dead... need help (1 Viewer)

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

On the past Saturday, I think that I've fried my receiver for cranking the volume up too loud? What I did was doubling speaker wires (16ga) for my mains and center. Popped in "Masters and Commanders" and crank it up to -10db below reference level. It was at chapter 4 of the movie where there's a battle and lots and lots of cannon shots. My apartment was shaking violently, so I decided to turn down the volume. Unfortunately, I couldn't turn down the volume on the remote, I couldn't turn off the power from the remote as well. Thinking it might be out of battery, I walked to my receiver and tried to lower the volume... to my supprised, i can't neither... pressing the power button on the receiver won't do anything... The movie was still playing, the sound was like normal just loud. I kept on trying to turn down the volume/turn off the power for about 2-3 mins. It just won't do anything, so I decided to unplug the power cord. The receiver shut down... Not only it shut down... it won't power back on. I tried different plugs in the apartment... nothing happens... it's dead... I unplugged all the speaker wires and cables off the receiver. It still doesn't power back on :frowning: It's a Yamaha HTR 5560. I had it for about 18 months. I purchased it new online, unfortunately, not from an authorized online dealer. Yamaha refused to fix it without charging me :frowning: If I bring it in, they will charge me $20 just for checking up to see what's wrong. Then they will charge me $100 for labor and whatever part(s) that I need to replace :frowning: I don't want to spend so much money for just fixing it. I was wondering if you guys can help me out. I openned it up and look at the fuse, but it doesn't look like the fuse is fried. Any help here will be appreciated... My Tempest is so lonely now... Help my Tempest out guys... Thanks in advanced...

Al,

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
sounds like your contrl bord is bad. you need to get scmatics for it and trubble shoot it or get a new recever. or take it in for warentee if there is one. and last but not least find your avr the the amp secton is dead and swap out the amp secton.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Open it up and see if there's an internal fuse that's blown.

Otherwise..."Dearly beloved, we are gathered here to pay tribute to a faithful and departed receiver..."

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Just curious.. do you guys think it was directly related to his speaker wire "trick", is this always a bad idea.. or does he just have bad luck?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
No, I don't think it has to do with the speaker wire 'trick', which basically sounds like all he did was run two lengths of 16 gauge (paying attention to proper polarity) to give him an effective 13 gauge wire. Personally, I don't know how the Yamaha behaves if it happened that the connections were made with bare wire and a short developed. Some receivers just shut down while others have a coronary. It certainly is strange that the volume control didn't respond.

Again, I'd opt to take a look inside and even though you didn't buy it from an authorized dealer, I believe its only a one year warranty anyways, so you're f***ed.

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply all. I openned it up. The fuse seemed to be ok. Just to make sure can anyone tell me exactly how it looks if the fuse is fried? I remembered on that Saturday, the receiver wasn't hot at all... I didn't smell anything burnning. I looked inside, nothing seemed to be burn, nothing is loose. It's really tight and secure.

Bryan, what do you mean by scmatics? where can I get used/cheap amp for my receiver? I have a feeling the control board is bad, but I am a total dummy on electronic circuit stuffs...

I called 2 more places today. They're all quote me roughly the same price which is $20 for inspection, $90-$100 for labor and plus whatever parts I need. I'm looking to spend at around $150 which is more than half of that unit's cost if I'm going to buy it brand new :frowning: I'd rather put that money in the new receiver. But if I can fix it for a cheaper price, I will definitely fix it. I guess I'll be without sound for a couple weeks.

Thanks all...

Al,

:frowning:

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well you can pull the fuse and visually inspect it or simply test it with a multimeter to see if there's continuity. I don't think its worth repairing and not something I'd even attempt. A brief web search on my part turned up prices in the low $200's for the same receiver. OTOH, maybe this is the time to simply start looking for a new one, perhaps with a greater set of balls.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks