What's new

receiver inputs question (1 Viewer)

RyanSoares

Stunt Coordinator
if i go "out" from my dvd player with components to "in" on my amp then out from my amp into my tv will i lose picture quality???

what is component switching? my AVR has it.... my AVR only has composite and s video "monitor out" does that mean i won't get the component picture quality from my dvd if i have to use the s video as my "monitor out" if i want to switch video sources from my AVR....

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, do you mean that your receiver has component inputs for video (three) but only S-Video and composite outputs? That does not seem to make any sense at all.

Q #2 But assuming that to be the case, you will not get a component quality picture on your TV with an S-Video input, regardless of what left your DVD player. You will also not benefit from having a progressive scan DVD player.

Q #1: If you have component inputs and outputs as features of your receiver, you might not be able to tell the difference in picture quality. Some receivers don’t have as much internal bandwidth as the component cables, so there is a chance that the picture quality could be degraded. It depends on your receiver.

RyanSoares

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for your help but yeah my receiver has component in's and out's but it only has composite and S video "monitor out" i wanna do all my switching from my reciever but if the best quality i can get is s video i'd rather hook the dvd straight to the tv and yes my dvd is progressive scan the sony 725 and my tv sony 32 inch hi scan is hd ready

RyanSoares

Stunt Coordinator
hopefully this will clarify what i'm trying to ask... to do A/V switching the "monitor out" on your reciever should be hooked into a video in on your tv..... on my reciever i don't have a component "monitor out" i only have s vid and composite monitor out...... i have component in's and out's on my reciever but not a component "monitor out" so if i want the component progressive scan pic quality frommy dvd i guess i would have to hook my dvd straight up to the tv's component in's instead of passing it through my reciever right?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
You can pass it through your receiver, but only through the component out jacks. You won’t get progressive scan otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks