What's new

Receiver in the US$400 to US$600 range (1 Viewer)

Sanjiv

Auditioning
Considering the following

Marantz SR5200/5300
Denon 1803 or 2802 (if I can get a good deal)
Integra 5.3

Would mostly use it for HT, some sound. Own an Onkyo right now that I am not a big fan of, hence a little apprehensive of the Integra.

I noticed that the Marantz 5200 does not have Dolby Digital EX nor the NEO:6. But since my setup is primarily 5.1, should I get a receiver with EX for upgrades? Will DPLII suffice instead of NEO:6 since they essentially do the same thing?

Any other receiver recommendations? Have never used Denon equipment but heard good things about them. Any feedback is welcome.

Regards,

Sanjiv

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
All good choices , the 1803 may be a little light in the loafers though,......consider adding the Yamaha rxv730 to your list though....
I sell both Yammie and Denon........

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Sanjiv

Try the 1803 - you'll be very impressed. I have an 1802 and it most certainly isn't 'light in the loafers.'

Good Luck,

R.C.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
there are lots of choices. don't limit yourself. pick up a copy of a buyers guide go through it, and pick all the receviers in that price range. then go listen to all of them....that's what I did.....worked for me...

Sanjiv

Auditioning
Thanks everyone.
Steve,
The problem with going through a buyer's guide and picking out receivers in the price range and listening to them is that every setup is different. For example listening to a Yamaha with a Denon source through Infinity speakers may sound completely different than a Denon with a Panasonic source through BA speakers even though the individual differences between the Yamaha and Denon receiver may not be that great. So, since unfortunately no one dealer carries all brands, it makes it very hard to compare receivers by simply listening to them. I will be putting the receiver in the following setup , maybe that will help.

Speakers
NHT SuperAudio - SB1 Fronts, SC1 Center, SW10 Sub, 6.3 in-ceiling surrounds.

Source
Pioneer 656A DVD player

Hope this helps. Any receommendations are welcome.

Regards,

Sanjiv

Yogi

Screenwriter
You might be able to get a closeout 3802, when the 3803 hits the street, for $600. Its a killer receiver for the price. You won't have to look back.

NickStan

Auditioning
I'd go with the 2802 or if you coul dfind the close out on the 3802. I have the 2802 currently and very pleased with it.

Sanjiv

Auditioning
I took my SB1's to a dealer yesterday and listened to the Yamaha 730, Denon 2802 and 3802.
The 3802 was distinctly superior. It had a very open sound the other two sounded like the speakers were in a closed box (in comparison) at the same volume. At this point, of these three I like the 3802 the best followed by 2802 and then the Yamaha 730.
Wasn't able to compare the Marantz to the other two because its a different dealer.
Sanjiv

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
Through tomorrow you can get the Harmon Kardon AVR 520 from onecall.com for $539.89 shipped. Got to gotapex.com for the details. Sweet deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks