What's new

receiver in the $300-500 range? (1 Viewer)

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I am currently looking around for a reciever in the $300 - 500 maybe $600 range.

Right now I am considering the Pioneer VSX-D810S. It seems like a good deal for its value.

However before I jump in this perhaps there is some others anyone could recommend I could look into. DTS ES would be nice but not totally necessary.

Thanks in advance

Dan_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
The Onkyo TX-DS595 can be had for about $365 at JandR.com if you ask nicely.

The Outlaw 1050 would probably be the best receiver if you're willing to spend $499.99.

That's my thoughts.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I would recommend the Denon 1802 ($375.00) or the 2802 ($550.00). I believe the Onkyo 595 & 696 falls in your price bracket as well. I believe either of these mentioned would be a lot better than the Pioneer. The Kenwoods are nice to (the THX certified VR-510 is in your bracket as well), but their construction just looks so dam cheap imho. However, they are solid performers for their prices with nice remotes and all the features you'll need.

R.C.

Ashok

Agent
Reggie, where are you getting the $550 price for the Denon 2802? Is that from an authorized dealer? All the authorized dealers online that I have found have terrible prices, around $800.

David Cohn

Grip
Ashok,
www.reliableaudiovideo.com has the Denon AVR-2802 at $550 (+$20 shipping). I know because I ordered one this past weekend!
Six amplified channels and component video switching. High quality watts. Excellent reliability. Great sound. Crappy remote.
Reliable is a five-star Yahoo retailer.
On Denon warranties & authorized dealers, search the last few days for Reliable's warranty on their Denons. I copied their warranty policy and discussed Denon's obligation re: unauthorized dealers.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Denon AVR-2802 is your best bet if you can get it for that price. Otherwise look at the 1802, Onkyo 1050, or Yamaha RX-V620. The Outlaw is another excellent receiver. Only thing it lacks in this price range is DPL II. If you do not care about that then get the Outlaw.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. I have done some reading on the Outlaw now and most have given positive reviews. However some weaknesses seemed to be weak tuner, no 5 channel stereo and no Dolby Pro Logic II.

My receiver will be used for I'd say 60 percent music and 40 movies.

How is music on this receiever? Some say it is better suited for Home Theater.

The Denons seem to be pretty nice as well.

Michael Botvinick

Stunt Coordinator
Three Words: BUY THE OUTLAW

I have it and love it. It doesn't look as pretty as the others, but it is built on a different level. I listen to a lot of music and it sounds good (Through definitive technology speakers). Don't underestimate the power rating on the outlaw. It has plenty of power (Better than my old Kenwood that was rated and 150 watts a channel). Bottom line is that you need to consider the quality of the speakers and the original source not just the Amp.

If not the Outlaw, stay away from Pioneer unless you get the Elite line. The Onkyo and Yamaha are much better products.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Ashok:

for $800.00, you can now put your self in a Denon 3802 (In fact, for around $750.00). I don't know if the dealer is authorized or not, but have searched Yahoo and seen them this low from five star dealers.

Eric:

All of the recommendations here are nice. You can't go wrong with any of them. Give as many a listen as possible, and let your ears be the judge. I loved the Outlaw (I think the build quality exceeds the others mentioned) as well, but the lack of DPL-2 and 5 channel stereo pretty much bumped it out of consideration for ME personally. I know a replacement for the 1050 is due soon, and will likely contain what other more current receivers are missing.

Reggie

Bert D

Stunt Coordinator
How about a Harman Kardon AVR 320 for about $500, or the 220 for around $380 ? Do not go by the "low" power ratings of H/K, just like Outlaw, they rate them low but put out more real power than some rated twice as much. IMHO

Ashok

Agent
Yes, yahoo! shopping is cheap, but they are not authorized dealers. Denon.com has a list of authorized online retailers, and all of them offer next to no discount on the products. I am considering buying a 2802, and I will probably take my chances with a yahoo! shop. But if something goes wrong with the receiver after buying from them, I will pretty much be out of luck.

I sent an email to Ontimedigital, a five-star yahoo! shop offering the Denon for $498.00 and as of yet have had no response. So I am pretty wary of buying from them or a similar shop.

Lowell_B

Second Unit
I'm currently running an Onkyo 494 and I think it's fantastic. The 595 is an all around much beefed up version of the 494, for $350 I don't think you could do any wrong. Just try to look/listen to the aforementioned receivers (Denon, Kenwood, Outlaw, H/K) too, and make a decision based on what you like. They're all fantastic (from what I've heard :) ) receivers.
Lowell

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Ashok,

I got my Denon 1802 back in September from an unauthorized five-star Yahoo dealer for $350.00. It isn't quite true that you will be "out of luck," if purchased from a non-authorized dealer. There have been a few in this forum who have purchased Denon's from known unauthorized dealers and had their units repaired if needed. Then of course, Denon's are known to be reliable units, so there's always a chance that you may never need to use the warranty. IMHO, if it means I will have to pluck out a few hundred extra to go with an authorized dealer, I will probably go the cheaper route. Cash is an objective with me. I guess it all comes down to personal experience, as I've never had to send any receiver I've owned in the past in for repair, and so far, the Denon is working just great.

Reg

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Eric:

I too have the Outlaw 1050 and for the money it is really hard to beat. No, it does not have DPL II or 5 channel stereo but if those aren't that important then I wouldn't bother with anything else.

As for music listening I think this receiver shines in this area. As good as it is in DD/DTS 5.1 it is even better in good ol' two channel audio.

And just like SV Subwoofers their customer support and service is second to none.

Parker

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Ok just to be sure, since they say Outlaw lacks 5 channel stereo, can someone describe 5 channel stereo. I thought I knew what it was, and now I am not so sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks