Receiver in Onkyo S760 HTIB same as SR501?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Oak, May 11, 2004.

1. Oak

Oak Auditioning

Anybody know the difference between the receiver that's packaged with the Onkyo HT-S760 versus the SR501? There seem to be no cosmetic differences (??).

I'm thinking of getting the 501 from ecost, but wondering if getting the S760 is a better bargain.

2. Tim Stumpf

Tim Stumpf Stunt Coordinator

Looks to be pretty darn close. The specs on power output for the HTIB version are higher than the 501, but those numbers can be kind of meaningless. Hard to tell from the website I looked at but the 501 is a 6.1 capable receiver and the HTIB version may not be. I would not go the route of the HTIB just to get the receiver unless that's the kind of total system you're really looking for.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

With the 501 you'll get free ground shipping, while with the HTIB you'll have to pay for shipping, and ecost is EXTREMELY expensive on shipping on larger items, probably around $100 for the HTIB.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Looking at the ecost web site, the only major differences between the 760 receiver and the 501 is the 760 has more power but the 501 has component video switching (they are both 6.1). If you really want the 760, get it on close-out at a store (the 770 is due out soon), otherwise get the 501. Either way, keep your expectations reasonable and you won't be disappointed. I bought a refurb HT-500 receiver from the 650 htib from pcmall in Dec. and am very happy with it.

5. Oak

Oak Auditioning

Component video switching on the 501 might come in handy.

And yes, ground shipping for the HTIB at eCost is $141!! Thanks for the info guys.

6. Tim Stumpf

Tim Stumpf Stunt Coordinator

Looks like you talked yourself into the 501. I have that unit and I like it. I have to say that it brought new life to an older (but decent) pair of speakers. The remote is sub par, but not a deal killer. I've seen it on CC's website for around $250. At that price, I'd personally forego the refurb, which is a crap shoot at best.