Receiver in $300 price range

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Joey Bord, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Joey Bord

Joey Bord Auditioning

I am trying to get some opinions on what I should get for a receiver in this price range of $300. I recently purchased some Athena Audition series speakers for a good price. I have 2 pairs of AS-B2's, an AS-C1, & an AS-P400. (The "wife factor" doesn't agree with the size of the AS-B2's, so those need to be sold off.......sorry, I got off on a tangent) But anyways I have been looking at the Onkyo and Yamaha receivers. I really can't tell any differenc in the store between them. They are both about the same price. It seems like the Onkyo TX-SR501 and the Yamaha HTR-5650 are my two choices. The Onkyo says it is rated for 65W per channel and the Yamaha says 80w. From this do I assume that I can crank up my speakers louder with the Yamaha. Anyone have any opinions on this? Or any other receivers I should take a look at?

2. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

have a look at pioneer, and sherwood...I have been doing some reading on sherwood the past few weeks and they are supposed to be sonically awsome for the price....you can get an entry level newcastle reciver for 399......

3. Joey Bord

Joey Bord Auditioning

I know I have not given much time for responses. Through some research I have learned to try to go with the Onkyo SR-601 instead of the SR-501. Through all of my researching and purchasing I have debated on looking at refurbished equipment. Right now on Ecost, I can get a refurbished SR-601 for 304.99 with free shipping. Is this a great deal, or should I be concerned with a refurbished product being junky? Does anyone have some good or bad experiences with refurbished products?

4. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Well I can put in a word for the Onkyo 501. I have this one and can say nothing bad about it. It has plenty of inputs for an entry level receiver and has the extra bonus of supporting a 6.1 system if your heart so desires. Not many entry level receivers, as good as the Onkyo, are 6.1. The only complaint I had with the Onkyo was with how hot it gets when in an enclosed cabinet. I have since moved it to an open air rack and that droped the temperature of the unit significantly. Personally I would make sure that a receiver has all the necessary inputs that you require and go from there. As far as your power statements on the yamaha and the Onkyo, manufactures are not the best at telling the real dirty truth to what their receivers actually can put out. Like said above, try looking at the refurb Onkyo models. People on here have had very good experiences with buying refurb models from places like ecost etc...

5. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

The Yamaha+Athena pairing is absolutely terrible to my ears. When you put speakers that have a hot tweeter with a forward sounding receiver such as that Yamaha, it yields a rather bright sound. And yes, I had the 5650 with my Athena setup, this isn't some hypothetical mumbo-jumbo. YMMV, as always, but you should look towards something warm to tame those Athenas. Try to find something like an H/K 225 from Harman Audio:

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...0225-Z&status=

They also sell on e-bay, you might be able to get a steal. And they ARE Harman/Kardon, so don't hesitate for that reason (or really for any reason, but I like their stuff, so I might be a little biased).

6. Paul S

Paul S Stunt Coordinator

The Panasonic SAHE200 is 130 watts a channel times 6, all the decoders and bells and whistles you could want and is $300.00 at J&R Music. No other receiver will come close for the money. Panasonic is a reliable performer and probably one of the best buys on the market.

7. jon_ad

jon_ad Stunt Coordinator

I have the Onkyo 501 ($182 refurb) from ecost and it is a great receiver. It has plenty of power for a small to medium room. It replace my RCA HTIB receiver in my bedroom.

I would also suggest H/K. I have a AVR 325 paired with Athena ASF1s, ASC1, and ASB1s and it sounds great.

8. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Go look at audioreview.com and search the different sherwood recivers....These things are as good as denon, onkyo, H/K and ohter "better" brands. for way less money.

the Sherwood company as a whole seem to be a class act too. the rep floating around here, does his best to help and he's quick to respond to any sherwood related questions.

I know that Im going to have a sherwood powered house when I get finished....they are that good, and that inexpensive. Im not going to say cheap, because they are built very very well. My friend has a mini system by sherwood, and it flat out rocks!....very impressive for what it is. It's one of the few mini systems that feels like it's built solid. most are very cheap feeling but this feels rock solid.

Do yourself a big favor, and money saver, look at sherwood.

Also, Stay away from H/K, their reliablity is not very good....take it from someone who used to sell their products.

9. Tom Sullivan

Tom Sullivan Agent

"Ecost, I can get a refurbished SR-601 for 304.99 with free shipping. Is this a great deal, or should I be concerned with a refurbished product being junky? Does anyone have some good or bad experiences with refurbished products?"

Last week I got a Kenwood 6070 from ecost to try out because it has THX. It go some favorable reviews from magazines and users. However [​IMG] after I hooked up all the connections on first power up it flashed a bright light popped and smoked. lol

I have a replacement coming this week hope I have better luck at $199.

This time I'll power it up first.

10. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

I like my Pioneer vsxd-912k receiver. I got it at 6ave.com when they had it for $300 shipped. I can honestly say I don't think I'll be upgrading for at least 5 years when HDTV becomes mainstream and receivers will be that much better.

11. Daryn D

Daryn D Agent

I bought a refurbished HK avr 320, it has been fantastic. I haven't had any problems, I paid $380 including shipping on buy.com 1 year ago. Now I can afford better speakers! I would have no problem buying the refurb receiver, especially if it is coming straight from HK and not through a third party.

You can usually find refurbs from HK Direct on Ebay. They usually have a few 325's 525's etc.

12. Joey Bord

Joey Bord Auditioning

Thanks for some responses. I think that I don't have enough confidence in buying a refurbished Onkyo SR601 from ecost. I called and they told me that it can be missing parts or have scratches on it and that is what you get. For $300 and having a chance at not being perfect they can keep it. I only wanted to spend $300, but I think that I might best be served going with the new SR601 from bestpriceaudiovideo for $399. It looks like this is the best unit to serve me in this price range. I get the feeling most people spend more than they want to when it comes to their HT. I want to buy it, but I am trying to justify spending that much $. Someone please convince me to [​IMG] !

13. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Well what features does the Onkyo 601 have that the 501 does not have that you can live without. If you just cannot afford the 601, take a look at the 501 model. It is just a matter of what you really want in the receiver and how flexible you really are on that $300 budget. I too always set a budget for my HT only to spend more for some reason. Maybe it's just impulse buying or something, much to the dismay of the Wifey. Get what you really want or you will always say "I wish I had went with the other one." But if you would like to stay in the Onkyo line of receivers (which is a good choice I might add), take a look at the Onkyo Tx-SR501 if you really cannot afford the 601.

14. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

I got an AVR325 for 299. I love it. I haven't had any problems. Sounds great.

15. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

How about an h/k 130, $299 from J&R Music World in NY (www.jandr.com).

16. Erik*R

Erik*R Agent

17. Tom Sullivan

Tom Sullivan Agent

" Last week I got a Kenwood 6070 from ecost to try out because it has THX. It go some favorable reviews from magazines and users. However after I hooked up all the connections on first power up it flashed a bright light popped and smoked. lol

I have a replacement coming this week hope I have better luck at $199."

I hooked up the replacment and compared it to the HK AVR7200. The Kenwood not bad for a starter receiver but the HK sound is 20times better. The kenwood has a ton of features though for $199.

18. GraysonAng

GraysonAng Stunt Coordinator

Look at the Panasonic SA-XR25 or wait for the SA-XR50 coming out in a few weeks.

Fully digital, so for digital sources, there is no analog conversion until the speaker wires. People are raving about these receivers on avsforum.com.

I have the SA-XR25 with Athena point 5 speakers and it sounds incredible! I added an extra satellite because the receiver is 6.1.

19. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

I purchased a refurb 601 from ecost and it has been running perfectly for over 2 months-it also comes with a 1 year onkyo warranty (and was refurbed by onkyo not a 3rd party)-sound wonderful-I'm actually thinking of going the 701 (preamp outs) route so if you'd like to buy mine I'll give you a good deal-just pm me.

rogo

20. Joey Bord

Joey Bord Auditioning

Thanks for the responses everyone. I finally pulled the trigger today and purchased a new Onkyo sr601 from jandr. I can't wait to set it up! It is so hard to stick to your budget when purchasing HT equipment.