1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Receiver HUM

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John DeSantis, Feb 5, 2002.

1. John DeSantis

John DeSantis Stunt Coordinator

I just replaced the TV in my #2 HT setup. ( Got a Sanyo 31"
    at WalMart for 369.00 ) I know, crappy Brand etc. but for the price not bad and DVD pic is more than acceptable. Also, they told me I have one year to exchange it if anything goes wrong. (Sanyo policy ) cool !!
    Anyway, I noticed that when the Audio outs are connected to my DPL Receiver a slight hum is heard in the TV speakers. I've tried plugging the TV into a different outlet, unplugging the Receiver. As long as the Audio outs from the TV are connected (to anything, it appears ) the HUM returns.
    I've connected everything through an APC surge supressor. I've also tried direct connections into the wall outlet. What could be doing this? Or should I be returning the TV already? It's very slight hum but there and goes away when I remove the connection. It's just strange that it's there even when the Component it's connected to is off and unplugged. Anything else I could try?
    Thanks for any suggestions except trash the set [​IMG]

2. Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen Stunt Coordinator

John: Does the hum stay constant when you raise and lower the TV volume?

3. John DeSantis

Yes, it's constant. If the Volume is up just a bit it is hard to hear. Also, when playing through the receiver the output seems clear etc.

4. Bob Christensen

John: do you have any florescent lights, dimmer switches, halogen lamps, or 2-way or 3-way lights anywhere in the house? If so, try turning them all off and see if that helps. Is the sound in the 50-60 hz range?

5. John DeSantis

Bob:

There is a Flourescent fisture and I did try turning that off along with many other switches etc. I checked to see if it's there when apliances and Furnace runs too, no change. Also, I tried switching the TV to Video IN mode and hum still there. I'm wondered if the CATV feed is doing it but I would think the problem would be there with or wiothout the Audio connection....... I think I'll unhook it just to see.

6. Bob Christensen

Is your cable less than 3 feet long? Have you tried a different cable?

7. John DeSantis

The Audio cable is about 6 ft. I just discovered that if I unhook the CATV Cable the hum also stops. So, unhooking either connection stops the hum. I would guess then this is 60 hz hum, correct? I tried changing the connection at the cable splitter and no help. I noticed I got a slight shock as I was messing with the cables. Not sure if this is just the signal or what. I don't have any problems on the other TVs ( 4 ) and the pics are OK. Seems like I need to ground something.. but what?

8. Bob Christensen

Sounds like a common grounding problem where the ground between your cable feed is not the same as the ground for your home mains. See this link for some possible solutions:
    http://www.dplay.com/tutorial/cablehum.html

9. John DeSantis

Bob: Found it! I unhooked my FM antenna feed and the hum is gone. I now remember switching that feed from my indoor Ant. to an Old VHF Ant. in the attic. Somehow it is/was picking up something from there. I need to check out that end. Anyway, I know it's not the set. Thanks for helping out with suggestions......

10. Bob Christensen

Great! Enjoy!

11. Bob Christensen