Receiver - how much amp power?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Radim, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Radim

Radim Extra

At the risk of there not being a good answer, what is the general rule of thumb for deciding how much amp wattage is sufficient for one's purpose? More specifically, I just got the JBL NSP-1 speaker set for my 13' x 15' room and really don't know if 60W or 80W or 100W per channel for good home theater will be sufficient, with some headroom left in case I want to have a loud party. Suggestions?

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Hi Radim,
    This would depend on the sensitivity of your speakers and how loud you like to listen to them in the room you're using. Also, you really can't rely on stated power outputs by the manufacturer. I'll link a chart below that shows that, even if a receiver is rated at 100 watts/channel X's 5 channels, it might only be capable of only achieving an actual 40 or so watts per channel when all channels are driven simultaneously. Again though, I think the speaker's sensitivity is usually more of a factor than amp output.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/ratevsac.htm

3. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

lets see if I can tackle this one. Nope!

do a search for this topic, im sure its been covered many times here.

Off the top o' my head, i'd say 100-120 watts/channel is sufficient.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Amplifier power is deceiving. You would think going from 60w to 100w would nearly double your volume, right? Wrong. Doubling power will only give you a 3db increase in volume.

As for your question, find a receiver in your price range and has all of the features you want. Consider power last, unless it's extremely low (less than 50w/channel). Even if a receiver is rated at 100W per channel, chances are it is still only putting out around 70 - 75 watts to each channel when driven simultaniously.

That said, Harmon Kardon receiver usually seem to have really low power raitings (45 - 65 watts/channel), but they are almost always accurate assesments.

So i guess i'm saying find a receiver that you like not based on power (unless it's really low, and most good receivers aren't).

6. Radim

Radim Extra

Thanks for all your answers. I'm almost set on the Denon 1803 (coming out soon) which has 80W/channel in specs. I just can't imagine a good receiver like that being insufficient for "normal" use (i.e., HT and occassional party music) in a 13' by 15' room, but I wanted to see what wisdom is out there. Thanks!

7. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Your sensitivity is spec'd at 86db. You should be fine with the Denon.

8. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

86dB/W/m? The Denon will struggle unless you use a sub and set all speakers to "small" to take the load off the receiver. 90dB/W/m for the center is OK.

Since the speakers don't go below 80Hz, then I suspect this is what you will be doing, so it should be OK.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    These are 5-1/4" drivers that are not very current hungry and are only good to 80Hz... We are talking about N24s here. The 1802, and most likely the future 1803, will not struggle, even with them set to large.

10. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

If you send bass to them, they may not produce much output but they are still likely to draw current (especially since the lowish sensistivity requires the signal voltage to be high) and the Denons are not high current amps. In any case, with a -3dB point of 80Hz, the only sensible setting would be "small".