What's new

Receiver hookups for home theater (1 Viewer)

Jeff_PxR

Stunt Coordinator
I havea basic question. I have a new HK 525. The sockets in the back for DVD and VHS hookups are for VIDEO as well as Audio. My digital cable box goes to the TV. Surely I go directly from the video out on the DVD player and VHS player to the TV?? And not to the receiver? And then I run their audio to the receiver. Is this not right? Why do they have video in connections on the receiver? Thanks!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Sure. Go straight to the TV with video.

But when you go to use your system, here is what you have to do:

- You have to grab the receiver remote to change the audio input from ... DVD to CATV box.

- You have to grab the TV remote to change the TV input from ... DVD to the CATV video. (This usually means hitting the "SOURCE" button several times).

Not a lot of work...but annoying. And very spousal/family un-friendly.

My system runs SVideo from every device to my receiver. Then I have 1 SVideo cable going from my receiver to my TV. The one remote that controls everything simply has to change the receiver input and both audio & video flip with 1 button press.

Much simpler/easier to use.

Jeff_PxR

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Bob!! OK--so I take all the video inputs and go into the receiver? My VCR does not have S Video but I assume I can use the regular jacks. Then my HK remote will run everything--incl my cable box?? That is amazing. Will I lose any quality going through a receiver with my video instead of straight to the TV?
Anyone have a HK 525 and can add input?

Oakley

Auditioning
I have the 525 with my dvd and vcr running through the receiver, both are with s-video cables. I'm sure it would be the same using the regular cables.I do not believe there is any loss of video doing it this way. (IMHO) It still gives great presentation.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff_PxR

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Oakley, does your 525 receiver remote control everything, then? Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks