What's new

Receiver help (1 Viewer)

Benjamin(W)

Auditioning
Hello, I truly hope that someone on this forum can help me with my problem. I have two floor speakers which contain tweeter, midrange, bass etc. They use the audio cable with the red and white plugs (RCA cables?) not the usual bronze speaker wire. I would like to buy a receiver that accomodates these wires and has the proper inputs for dvd, vcr, tv and video game, dvd has an s-cable. My main problem is that most receivers are surround, and I don't (think)need that, secondly, they have the speaker wire hookups and not the plug hookups. If anyone could tell me a brand and model to use (for the best price) I will be eternally grateful.
Thanks in advance!

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
what speakers are they? are they "powered" speakers (do they contain their own amp)?

it doesn't really matter what sort of connector a speaker's wire terminates with (nor what color it is, for that matter). you can put just about any sort of connector on the end of "the usual bronze speaker wire", if your speakers do indeed have a special terminal, and require it.

as far as receivers go, since you want one with multiple audio inputs for all that video equipment AND video capabilities, too, chances are you're looking at buying an "audio/video receiver", which in almost all cases is going to be a surround sound receiver. you MAY be able to find a stereo receiver with enough audio inputs if you don't really require the video capabilities.

Benjamin(W)

Auditioning
Thanks for the help Scott!
The speakers are MTS 150 watts and a friend gave them to me. They seem to be very high end, the front comes off and they have all the different speakers inside. I don't know if they have amps in them. How could I find out if they have amps? I would like to know a good A/V receiver to buy, that's cost efficient. Also, they have low frequency and high frequency dials on them, and I would like to know what that stands for. Sorry for all the easy questions but I have no idea what I'm doing and don't want to buy something that doesn't work.
Thanks for all the help

Johnny_M

Second Unit
do your speaker cables look like these??

Banana Plugs

RCA plugs are what you find on the back of your vcr or dvd player. would your cables plug into your dvd player or are they different? if you can post the speaker model we could probably give you more info.

Johnny

Benjamin(W)

Auditioning
The speaker cables I am talking about are indeed the same as the ones that are found on a dvd player, vcr, tv. The only info I can give on the speakers are MTS Millenium 2012.
Are the banana plugs you showed a connector that would work?
Thanks for all the help you guys are giving me, I've been pretty confused on this whole thing, If it used the "usual bronze speaker wire" it would be easier. Do you guys think I should buy connectors or is there a receiver that uses RCA plug speaker inputs?
Thanks

Johnny_M

Second Unit
no, banana plugs are different. if your speakers do have rca cables there could be an internal amp, or they could have been proprietary speakers, meaning they originally came with a receiver which had rca outputs for speakers. i did a google search for "mts 2012" and found this...

white van speakers

hopefully you didnt get takin for a ride... do you know for sure that they work? i would suggest taking off 1 of the speakers and looking to see whats inside. if theres no amp inside (youll know it if you see it), then youll need some type of adapter to turn the rca cables into standard speaker wire. or the cables could always be cut, inside an rca cable is just 2 wires, the ends could then be used to plug into a standard modern receiver. this is kinda "ghetto", but it would work.

Johnny

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Or if they are just white van speakers, you could look for an inexpensive pair of speakers that would be for sure far superior...and not that expensive either.

NickGL

Agent
easy way to figure out if you have powered speakers:

do your speakers have an A/C power cable? that is, do they plug in to the wall?

if there are no power cords, your speakers are not 'powered' and you just have an unusual method of connection which can be accommodated by simply terminating standard 2 wire speaker cable with the connectors you need

and Denon sells decent stereo A/V receivers, as well as yamaha and some higher end brands

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
I have an old pair of Fisher thruster's laying around that have the same setup. They are about 20 years old. They indeed do have an RCA plug on the end. ONE single RCA plug per speaker. I've never torn them apart to check them out.

Benjamin(W)

Auditioning
Thanks for all the help you guys.
Yeah, just to let you guys know, my friend did buy them from a guy selling out of a car, but he's had them for a few years and says that he had them hooked up and that they worked. I really appreciate all the help, I think I'll skip the whole receiver idea and save up for a real surround sound setup. I got them for free and he couldn't use them because his condo is too small, but thanks to everyone heres help I am not going to invest in a receiver for worthless speakers.
THANKS!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks