Receiver help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Larry Ward, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Larry Ward

Larry Ward Auditioning

I have just registered, and though I am far from an audio-videophile, I have always loved good sound and tried to keep reasonably good systems. Presently I have a decent 7 year-old home theater system that I want to update. I plan to keep my M&K 125 sub, but replace my S-85's and my Yamaha receiver. Reading here, I have about decided I should go with a Denon 3803, but I want to ask those of you who really know - what are my top choices for under, say, $1200-$1500? Would other brands at the higher prices be a waste, when the 3803 is available for $800? This is a receiver/amp forum, but any comments on speakers would be appreciated, as well. I'd like to stay with something I can hang where the S-85's are, as I have a space problem.

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well i'm not sure if you want something small like satellites but JBL, Klipsch, Athena, and Polk all offer decent systems.

Also, as for a reciever. The Denon is a good choice, Harman/Kardon is a good choice, and Yamaha isn't bad either.

I think the best to possibly get for around the price of a Denon 3803 to compare to are the HK AVR-525 (you can usually find it new for $650-750), and also the Yamaha RX-V2400

3. Dave Shepard

Dave Shepard Agent

order the 3803 from 6th ave (online) I got it for $648.06 delivered. If you order the 3802 they will upgrade you to the 3803 at the price of the 3802. I have the 3803 with Polk speakers (2-rti-70's front, 2-Csi-40's center front & rear, 2-Rti-38's rear, 2-fx-30's side and SVS Pb2+ sub.

Dave

4. JohnHa

JohnHa Agent

I hear that NAD receivers are very good too. The new T753 is 6.1 and has an MSRP of $999.99. The T763 is 7.1 I believe and has an msrp of $1299. Were you talking about a price range of $1200-1500 for the receiver alone, or for everything you're wanting combined?

5. Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling Stunt Coordinator

If you like HK receivers, it's hard to beat the deal on the AVR-7200 from OneCall. I just got mine today, and after a holiday discount and a $30 rebate, it's going to cost me about $900. The 7200 is pretty much the top of the HK line and I can't wait to get it set up!

6. Larry Ward

Larry Ward Auditioning

Chris, my room is large and open, but the layout makes it necessary to put the speakers on the walls, out of the way of traffic. I think I will have to stick with satellites. I have blown the S-85's twice, because I use the system for loud rock and roll at times. You see, I need a system that is home theater as well as my primary audio system. I am looking for satellites that can take it, as well as a receiver with clean, high power.

John, my price range was for the receiver only.

Thanks to Chuck and Dave. I will check out the H/K and that is definitely the best price I have seen on the Denon.

7. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well Larry I don't know what your budget on speakers is but in terms of satellites the best I have heard so far are the Klipsch Reference satellites. I heard them for the first time 2 weeks ago and I was amazed at there power and there size. They basically put out the sound of huge bookshelf speakers.

They were very defined and everything. If you have a place where you can demo the Klipsch Reference satellites I would. Also, they look very nice and are available in 2 colors.

Another good thing about most satellites is that they require little power to get up to high volumes, so for a big room you won't need a huge amp, but the more power the better.

Good luck with your decision.