Receiver help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ryan.S., Dec 7, 2003.

1. Ryan.S.

Ryan.S. Extra

Well I'm trying to pick a receiver. I don't wanna spend too much on it... but I want something nice.

So far both the Onkyo TX-SR501 and the Sony STR-DE695 look pretty good and seem like they have everything I want.

So which one would you guys recommend? Or any other receivers that you think would be a better choice. I'd like to spend as close to $300 as possible for the receiver... but if there is a huge difference on something a little bit more expensive I might go for that.

I was also looking at the specs on the Kennwood receivers... The wattage is a lot higher and they come with a lot more stuff for a lot less money... now I'm sure there is something that is sacrificed... so what do you guys know about these?

Thanks

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Don't be fooled by just watts because even though on paper it may say 100W x5 it's not always the case. Recievers are amplifiers, not wattifiers... something to also remember.

I would steer clear of lower-end Sony product, most of the people here will tell you the same because of the build quality put in to them is close to crap.

The Onkyo TX-SR501 is a decent unit.

At the entry-level range, around $150-300 I would recommend the Harman/Kardon AVR-125 reciever. You can find it at SoundCity which is a reputable dealer. If you look at www.soundcity.com you will notice that the reciever is refurbished but from everyone who has bought a HK refurb I have never heard of anyone having a problem.

Not to mention Harman takes that extra step to provide excellent customer service, always a plus of a company, which none really do take that extra step these days.

3. Tim Streagle

Tim Streagle Stunt Coordinator

I second the motion to consider a refurbished model. I did have to send a DVD player back, but the Harman Audio store (on ebay) was very helpful and payed the shipping to send the bad one back and the replacement to me. No hassles. The $100's I have saved have been worth the inconvenience. There have been a few cases I heard about that didn't work out so well, however.

Buy a heavy, solidly built reciever that has its power rated with ALL channels driven over all frequencies (20-20,000 Hz). I particularly like Harman Kardon and Denon in this price range. They don't have any cheap units masquerading as good ones.

4. John S

John S Producer

I just installed 2 different HT rooms over the weekend, both with refurbed Onkyo SR-501's.

A friend uses the 7.1 Sony STR model, and even though the Sony is rated way way higher on power. The $180 refurbed Onkyo SR-501 toasted the Sony. (the guy with the Sony was there for one of the installs and even he agree's with this assessment on the two)

The sound on the Onkyo is a very high end sound, the sound in general on the STR Sony recievers, I would rate as average.

5. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

Ecost has the SR501 for $189 Refur-I'm only going to use the rears and center amps-have a nad 218thx for the front and a nad 218thx for the sub [​IMG]

excatly how did the sr501 sound better soncially??

rogo

6. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I used to own a Sony STR reciever a while back and also have listened to the Onkyo 501 and 601. I found them to have a much more clear sound compared to the sony. It is hard to explain exactly how it sounds but the Onkyo does sound better.

For $189 it's a good price, also take a look at Denon and HK. I personally find the HK to have nicer looks and offer a little bit more in terms of power for your speakers.

7. Ryan.S.

Ryan.S. Extra

Well I ordered a refurbed SR501 from Ecost.com. I'm excited to get it. Thanks for the advice[​IMG]

8. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Just got my Onkyo HT-R500 refurb from PC MALL for $119.00 with free shipping and one year parts and labor and this is a clean and loud receiver (rated at 100 X 5). I also have a H/K 520 @ 75 X 5 (circuit city display model for $299.) and with both hooked up to my Onkyo HT-500 speakers (new at Fry's for 129. Sorry, I'm a cheap bast**d) they are both so loud I can't come close to full volumn with either. Low end Sony's Kenwood's etc. can't compete power-wise to me, anyway.

9. John S

John S Producer

Rogozhin, Sparkling highs, and way more dynamic, and louder/more power in general.

10. Pat_C

Pat_C Agent

John,

I'm glad you like your 501s. Mine just showed up in the mail today. [​IMG] I haven't heard it yet, but I'm looking forward to it, given your review.

11. John S

John S Producer

Pleasantly surprised the heck right out of me really.
    I'm banking you will have a similar experience.

I'll be curous as to your impressions on it as well.
    I had no idea an under $200 piece of equipment, could even perform that well.

12. Ryan.S.

Ryan.S. Extra

Mine is scheduled to come tomm... I told my mom I'd let her stash it til christmas though... since she payed a little bit for it for a christmas present... so I guess I'll know christmas morning how it sounds.[​IMG]

13. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

John-thanks [​IMG]

I've changed my mind and have ordered a HK avr225 instead of the sr501.

thanks for starting this thread and all the people who have replied-it has helped me too [​IMG]

rogo