Receiver Help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DavidKid, Jul 25, 2003.

1. DavidKid

DavidKid Auditioning

I'm in the market for a HT receiver/speakers and just want some advice. I'm currently considering the h/k 225 and 325 as well as the Denon 2803. I'm not sure what kind of speakers I want yet. I have a panasonic DVD and a Sony 51" widescren TV. My budget for receiver/ speaker is about $2500 (cdn). Any info is appreciated.

2. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I have a 2803 and am really happy with it. The H/K's seem to have some reliability issues lately. Best thing to do is do a search on here for the specific brand and then maybe brand and model # to see what other people who own them think and also to see what problems, if any, those brands/models are having.[​IMG]

3. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

I'd go with the Denon. They have an excellent track record with their recievers. You can check it out yourself at www.audioreview.com . Once there go to 'reviews' and work your way to the Denon recievers. There is only 1 review for the 2803 which it a 5 out of 5, mainly due to it being so new. There are many great reviews for the 2802 and 2801 also. Good luck.

4. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

The MAJOR difference between the 225 and 325 is that the 225 is 5.1 and the 325 is 7.1..and well the cost is 500$ more for the 325...

I've had the 225 since December and I love it...it's more stylish than the Denon line, the sound is superb through my Energy Take 5.2s...and it is ridiculously easy setting it up through the OSD...

Your budget is more than enough to consider many many many speaker brands...just remember not to forget good cabling [​IMG]

5. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I believe the 325 also has triple bass management. This allows you to set different crossover settings for mains and surrounds. A very useful feature since most people have different surrounds than mains.

6. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Spend the majority of the dough on speakers, then get a good mid grade receiver. Have a look at onkyo, pioneer and kenwood as well, these companies make great components as well. I would steer clear of h/k and sony. I think everyone knows my views on this. My friend at work just had his H/K receiver bite the dust this past week. Sony, well........enough said!

7. DavidKid

DavidKid Auditioning

I also noticed that the h/k 325 has component video and the ability to hook up an amp to it while the 225 does not. I only have a DVD player that requires the need for component video so does anyone think the extra money for the 325 is worth it. Does the Denon 28030 have component video and ability to hook up an amp to it.

Thanks in advance

8. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pho...Rear%2Ejpg&c=2

Therefore, it has both pre-outs (the ability to hookup a power amp to it) and component video switching.

I should also add that all the video input/outputs on the receiver only enable it to act as a switchbox for multiple video sources. You could always just connect your DVD player right to your TV, and connect only the audio to the receiver (it'll save you some cabling [​IMG])