Receiver Help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by MikeWe, Jul 19, 2003.

1. MikeWe

MikeWe Agent

Looking for advice on a new receiver to replace my ten year old Pioneer VSX-511S that only had Pro Logic. I am considering the following:

Harmon Kardon AVR 525 $699 ($599 in unathorized)

Onkyo TSR-700 for $528

Pioneer Elite VSX-43 $500 ($358 if unathorized)

Pioneer VSX-D912K $300

Denon 2803 $799 ($536 if unathorized dealer)

Sony STR-DA4ES $578

Denon 1082 for $595

I would love the Denon 2803 or HK-525 but can't seem to find them below $675 and $799 from an authorized dealer. I am pretty sure I want to have the warranty. For the near future, I will be running them through older Infinity mains and older PSB center and surrounds. Have not purchased a sub yet but will be picking up one in the next few weeks. Will be upgrading speakers in the next 6 months to a year.

Right now I am just looking to go with 5.1. I may down the road want 6.1 or 7.1 but who knows.

I am very hesitant to purchase from an unathorized dealer, though, to tell you the truth, I am not sure Pioneer and Denon's position that they won't honor the warranty is even legal. These products are in the stream of commerce and should be subject to implied warranties of merchantibility. If Pioneer and Denon are so concered, they could stop so called unathorized dealers from selling their products very easily.

Regardless, the Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX is very tempting at that price, as is the Onkyo. Also, the Pioneer VSX-912 seems to have all the features but I am concerned about the amp when I upgrade speakers down the road. I have been very happy with my Pioneer receiver and have had no problems in ten years.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

go after the pioneer, onkyo or denon. also have a look at the outlaw audio receiver...good for the price...

3. Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

Mike:

E-mail me. I can help you with an authorized dealer to get what you want.

BTW, how are things by the Bay? I lived in the City for 20 years until recently moving to Colorado last year.

4. MikeWe

MikeWe Agent

Well, this weekend I looked and listened to all the receivers on my list except the Pioneer, though I saw the Pioneer VSX 41 and 45. I ruled out the Onyko, just didn't do it for me. Listened to the Denon and Sony at Magnolia Hi Fi, saw but didn't hear the Harmon and Onyko at Circuit City.

Not that it is that big a deal, but appearance wise Pioneer and Harmon lead the way, followed by the Sony. The Denons and Onyko are not attractive.

I have narrowed my choices down to the following receivers, all from authorized dealers except the Pioneer Elite and Denon 2803, where I am working on the authorized price.

Harmon Kardon AVR 525 $636 delivered

Pioneer Elite VSX-43 $575 delivered

Denon 2803 $799 ($536 if unathorized dealer)plus delivery

Sony STR-DA4ES $629 delivered

Denon 1082 for $595 delivered

I am leaning towards the Sony or HK, though the Sony seems to have a horrible remote and the HK has the fan noise that could drive me insane. If it were not for the fan, I would almost certainly go with Hardon. I am thinking about picking it up from Circuit City to demo to see exactly how loud the fan will be, to see if I can live with it.

I welcome any thoughts on the above.

5. David Ruggiero

David Ruggiero Stunt Coordinator

I vote for the H/K AVR-525. A great receiver for the money. I have never even heard the fan on mine come on. If it has, it must be when I am really blasting out some sound so I wouldn't hear it anyway! : )

6. cacu

cacu Stunt Coordinator

Hi MikeWe,
    I'm also on the same path of choosing a receiver and the list is very similar to yours. Would you care to share where you get those prices from authorized dealers?

Thanks

7. MikeWe

MikeWe Agent

I sent you a private mesage.

8. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

spend the little extra and get the vsx-45tx. very nice machine. I think it's being replaced by the new 55, so you might get an awsome deal on it....

9. cacu

cacu Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Mike,
    Please keep us informed of your decision. I'm leaning toward the H/K 525 or the Pioneer Elite 43TX. Wonder how much more the Pioneer Elite 45TX cost over the 43TX.

10. MikeWe

MikeWe Agent

I have not seen the 45tx for under $725 or so, which is a huge step up from $500, which is the lowest price I have found for the 43tx not including shipping and tax if applicable. However, the new 53tx is only a little bit more. If the disparity weren't quite so great between the 43tx and 45tx, I would jump on the 45tx.

At this point I am deciding if I would rather live with the crappy Sony remote, the HK fan noise, or the Pioneer 43tx lack of an RS-232 port and lack of auto MCACC.

11. Edwin_C

Edwin_C Stunt Coordinator

take a look at yamaha's too.

12. cacu

cacu Stunt Coordinator

MikeWe,
    I'm thinking the same. I'd really like to step up to the 45Tx but it's a big $ jump.

Edwin_C,
    I did look at the yammie Rx1300, but the 90hz sub crossover made me shy of that device.

What is the sub crossover freq for the Pioneer and the H/K?

13. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

I found one sealed brand new on ebay for 660. but even the 43 is sweet, the yammies are great as well, I forgot about those....

14. cacu

cacu Stunt Coordinator

The more I read about the Pioneer elete the more I want the VSX-45TX. With the 45tx model being discontinued and new models coming out, shouldn't the price be getting lowered?
    But otherwise why buy from ebay when you can buy from yahoo stores for the same price?
    Example: http://www.hometheaterphiles.com/vsx45tx.html
    But they are not authorize dealers.

15. MikeWe

MikeWe Agent

Thanks all for the advice. I ended up going with the Pioneer Elite 45tx over the Sony 4ES, even though I found both at authorized dealers for great prices.

I was fully prepared to go with an unauthorized dealer on the Pioneer but actually found a Pioneer Elite dealer willing to price match and got a great deal.

Made by decision primarily based on the calibration features of the Pioneer, the remote of the Pioneer, and the dealers return policy. In addition, my current Pioneer has worked flawlessly for 10 years, which is better luck than I have had with some of my Sony audio equipment.

16. cacu

cacu Stunt Coordinator

MikeWe,
    So where did you end up buying from and at what price?
    Thanks,

17. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Denon if you're more into music. H/K AVR-525 if you're more into movies.

18. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Great buy mike, let me know how it works. im looking at getting the same one!

19. Bob Elliott

Bob Elliott Agent

Mike,

Where did you find the H/K AVR 525 for $636 delivered?

20. MikeWe

MikeWe Agent

I obtained a price quote on the Harmon Kardon from a well known online retailer located in Washington State.

The Pioneer was obtained for $730 including shipping to San Francisco, which matched the lowest online price I found from any retailer.

If anyone is interested, I also found the Sony 4ES for less than $600.

Send me a PM if you would like details.