Receiver Help Please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Terry Fraser, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Terry Fraser

Terry Fraser Auditioning

I just bought a new Integra/Onkyo 6.3 model receiver. On the back are conections for component video and S Video. What are these for? Do I go from my DVD player into the receivers component video then out of there in to my TVs component connection. What is my advantage to doing this? Is there any advantage to justify the cost of buying the extra high quality cables to do this?

Terry

2. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Hello,

There are three video connections.

Composite: These are your standard RCA cables. Red & White for audio and yellow for video.

S-Video Is a single black pin-connector cable. The picture quality is usually noticably improved over composite cables.

Componenet Video: Is the highest quality video cable available today. You may or may not notice a big difference over S-Video if your using an analog TV. Although the bigger the TV, the more improvment might be noticed. If you have an HDTV, component cables are a must really, especially when using a progressive scan DVD player or playing a video game that uses progressive scan technology. The difference is worth it.

As for connectiong to the receiver...

It's best to go straight from your video equipment (DVD, VHS, LD, etc) to the back of the TV for the best connection. Generally speaking...

However, most peolpe's TVs don't have enough connections to hook up everything directly. So going through the receiver is a good bet. And you would hook it up exactly as you said. DVD to a componenet video or S-Video Input and then you would take another cable, from, we'll say component video monitor out to the componenet video input on your TV.

3. Terry Fraser

Terry Fraser Auditioning

Thank you for your reply. I have enough connections on the back of my TV to facilitate my needs so what your saying is I really don't need to hook up via my receiver?