Receiver Help (if you have a sec, please look)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Pat_C, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Pat_C

Pat_C Agent

I'm looking to spend around $300 on a receiver. It will be used to power the following speakers:

2 Paradigm Titans (front)
    1 Paradigm CC-170 (center)
    2 paradigm Atoms (rear)
    PDR 10' Sub

What receiver would: (a) get good sound out of this Paradigm set-up and (b) drive them at a level sufficient for me to watch dvds at moderate volume (c) contain the bells and whistles that I should have on any entry-level receiver -- i.e., component switching, etc. I'm hesitant about getting anything refurbished, although it isn't out of the question.

Your advice/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

Onkyo TX-SR501 might fit the bill. OneCall has it right now for $259 with shipping included. It will list at like $299, but you just click the "Today's Best Price" button. If you can stretch the budget a little, I recommend checking out the refurb H/K 325 at Harman's Ebay store. It can be had for about $375 depending on the particular auction. These come directly from Harman Audio with a 2 year warranty, and would be an even better choice than the Onkyo.

3. Pat_C

Pat_C Agent

I've been looking at the Onkyo SR-501, but I didn't know if it would sound good through the Paradigms. It's 65 watts per channel, and I wasn't sure if I would need more power. The Onkyo does have component switching, however. Which is something I have been told I should get.

I'll check out the refurb HK 325 as well.

4. John S

John S Producer

$375 is a good deal on that AVR325 for sure. Worht way more than $75 from the Onkyo SR-501, heck even the SR-601 in my book. And I am a Denon guy not an H/K guy, and I just ordered a SR-501 refurb for like $180 for an xmas gift for somebody.