What's new

Receiver Help for 1st Home Theater (1 Viewer)

Tom*T

Agent
I'm going to setting up my first HT in a 19x15 living room. It will be used primarly for movies with backgound music secondary. I plan on getting Polk center,in wall front and ceiling surrounds and an SVS sub. I have the recivers narrowed down to Denon AVR-1905, Onkyo 602 or Sony DE997. I have read some negitive post on this forum about the repair history on the Sony. I do like the fact that the Onkyo has an Auto speaker setup with included mic. I'm thinking this might result in a better balance and delay settings.

Any thoughts and feedback about these receivers (or other suggestions in this price range $400-600) would be appreciated. I've researched as best I could online but real world experencies from the HT community would be very helpful in making my final decision.

Thank You!
Tom*T

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I'd put some Yamahas on your list and even the 1014TX from Pioneer. Both lines provide excellent value along with automatic speaker setup options.

Tom*T

Agent
After I posted this I read some very positive threads about the Pioneer 1014TX. I will certainly add it to my list. Thanks for your input.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Tom,

If you're considering a reciever with auto-setup be sure it includes an equalizing function and not just speaker level. The 1014 has this, as do Yamaha 5790 and RXV-1400, 1500, 2400, and 2500. Denon 2805 and above also have auto eq.

The equalizing function compensates for dips and peaks in speaker response at different frequencies due to speaker innacuracy and room acoustics, and is very much worth having in my experience.

JohnCZ

Stunt Coordinator
I was in the your situation just a couple of months ago. The Onkyo 602 would be the one I'd pick from your list. Sony has many options but not the reliability. The new Onkyos have had good reviews.

I would also add the Yamaha 1400 and the Pioneer 1014 to your list.

I got the Pioneer 1014 a few weeks ago. I couldn't be happier. (except maybe with a new sub also).

Cheers...

Tom*T

Agent
The Onkyo was a the top of my list but now I'm really leaning toward the Pioneer 1014. It seems to have everything I'm looking for. I just have to keep checking the authorized Internet dealers websites to find a good deal between now and Christmas!

Thank you all for your input. I'm new to HT and so far the members of this forum have been very helpful. I can't wait for my house to get completed and I can start setting up my new system! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks