receiver help and online stores

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by todd<>C, Jan 2, 2004.

1. todd<>C

todd<>C Extra

I am in the market for an entry level receiver. have narrowed my choices down. I am thinking about the:
    Onkyo SR-501 ($182)
    Yamaha RXV630 ($240)
    JVC RX8030V ($279)
    Dennon AVR-1603 ($269).

I would appreciate your opinions on product vs price or info if you have seen it lower. I do not know much about receivers other than what I have read here.

I know of 6ave and ecost, what other sites are out there with good prices, but that you can also trust.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. John S

John S Producer

I think the Onkyo may be the best bargain of the bunch.
    I bought two of them from ecost, both appeared brand spanking new, and have been installed for several weeks now, with impressive bang for buck performance.

To price shop you have only to enter the model number into any internet search engine.

If you find a real low price from an unfamilure etailer, come back and ask if anybody has used them and their experiences with them.

3. Leigh_M

Leigh_M Stunt Coordinator

I have the RX-V630 and love it. In fact, I would like to replace a second unit with this one. Where did you find it for $240?

4. todd<>C

todd<>C Extra

Leigh, sorry for the delay replying, but i did a search on yahoo for it and one of the links had it a that price.

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Be careful purchasing Yamaha products on-line. Yamaha will usually not do warranty work for Yamaha products purchased on-line. You will more than likely have to rely on the warranty from the seller.

6. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    It is hard to get a GOOD warranty online. If you have a problem, it COULD turn into a nightmare. Local dealers are much better. They cost a few dollars more , usually, but worth the difference when you have questions and/or trouble with the equipment.
    Of the ones you mentioned, I'd go with the Denon or the JVC. I, personally have JVC and love it. A lot of bang for the buck. Check the amount of watts per channel, number of inputs and features of the JVC against the others, and I bet you find the JVC comes out on top. The JVC even has a usb input on the front, so you can hook your pc up to it, and play your mp3s through it...........
    Good luck with whatever you decide!