Receiver for under $1K

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by NoahL, Apr 5, 2004.

1. NoahL

NoahL Auditioning

I just bought a new house and will be upgrading our home theater/audio system. I got a deal on Totem Arros for the speakers and a Velodyne DD 15" sub. Next is the receiver. I was leaning towards the PE VSX-53TX or the Dennon 3805, mainly because the local stereo place had them to listen to, but I'm open. I am very new to this so its difficult to know what i should be looking for. I am probably about 70/30 HT to CD listening.

thanks in advance for the advice.

2. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

H/K AVR-7200 @ onecall is usually around $800, wait for it to drop to that, and jump on it. Suposidly its pretty much the best deal under a grand at this point in time.

3. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

The HK would be great but I'd really consider the 53TX they are wonderful receviers and you have second generation MCACC.

Denon's auto cal is first generation but I'd bet it is good.

HK's amps are very good. But, I'd rather have the 8000 over the 7200. IMHO....

Good Luck

Mike

4. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Both are fine choices. So is the 7200 (which I would prefer to the 8000 [​IMG] ). And there are plenty of others - which should make this fun!

The MCACC on the PE's is very good. The Denon has Dolby ProLogic IIx, which many think is quite a plus (the PE 53TX has "just" PLII). The HK7200 has a good solid amp section and Logic-7, but not PLIIx.

Other well-known & commonly available choices in this general price range probably include the Yamaha 1400 & 2400, which have both YPAO (think a MCACC equivalent w/ parametric equalizer, etc.) and PLIIx. And there are others, but I either don't have them or haven't heard them recently (which means they aren't PLIIx) so I really should leave those for others to comment on.

I wind up listening w/ the Yamaha most often these days. And yes, my guilty pleasure is that I occasionally (or maybe even a little more often) listen to PLIIx or even a DSP mode. Yamaha just seems to do their DSP better, at least to my old ears.

Do your research, go listen to as much as you can, and have fun!

5. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I agree with TimMc, check out the Yamaha RX-V2400. Nice looking receiver, tons of great features, and awesome sound.

6. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Why not hold hold off for a couple of weeks to see how the new Denon 3805 shakes out? I was interested in the 7200 but when I buy a receiver I want to keep it for 5 years.

7. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

the denon 3805 or the PE. either one of them are better tahn the harman!

8. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

Here are two answers for you that should sum it all up.

1) The one I have is better than everyone elses. Mine sounds better and has the best features. I researched for months and made this decision. If anyone tells you otherwise they are lying for it is impossible that I did not make the wisest choice of them all.

2) Most of the receivers in this price range from the various manufacturers are great. They all have stregths and weaknesses but all in all they sound pretty darn good. It is even arguable that you would be able to tell the difference in the sound of the different receivers if a true blind test was used. Audition the ones you can get your hands on and weigh out the need for various add ons (DSP, auto EQ, more power, shiny silver color, whatever floats you boat) that you may desire.

Denon, Yamaha, NAD, Rotel, H/K, Pioneer Elite, Sony ES

Take your pick and find a great local shop that will let you audition before you buy. Then buy it and return here to let us know that we bought the wrong receiver and that your's is now the best.

Damn, I'm pretty sarcastic for a wednesday. This usually doesn't start till Friday.

And no Steve, H/K is not the worst thing on the planet. Just YOUR experience was.

9. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

I love my harman/kardon AVR7200. Fear the Beast! [​IMG]

10. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    You could also take a look (tooting my own horn here) at the Integra DTR 6.4 (if 7.1 is not critical to you).

11. NoahL

NoahL Auditioning

Michael__M,

sarcastic, but funny and i get the point. This weekend I did go to the local shop and for me I couldn't tell the difference. I'll do some comparatives of features and make a decision from there.