What's new

Receiver for pre pro (1 Viewer)

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
Whats a good feature rich receiver to use as a pre pro? Would there be a reason to pick say a denon 4802r over a 3803 if eventually it would be used as a pre pro? Anyway, you see what i'm getting at and the approximate price i'm looking in(3803,4802r app.) Not limited to denon either.

eli

Grip
HELLO CHRIS. i would opt for denon 3803 or yamaha rx-v1400,both very good receivers would performing excellent like a pre/pro,so save your money on receiver and get decent multichannel power ampor if your budget is not tight opt for monoblocks. REGARDS

David Judah

Screenwriter
The Pioneer 53 or 55 TXI, Yamaha 1400 or 2400, Denon 3803 would all be good choices. Harman Kardon, Rotel, and NAD also make some very nice receivers that are highly regarded by many here.

The Pioneers and Yamahas have some digital EQ circuitry which we will probably see more of in pre/pros and receivers down the line since processing power and DSP are getting better and cheaper.

Even in their rudimentary forms they can have quite a favorable impact on the sound, so you might give them a demo. In fact, now that I've heard what they are capable of, I won't buy a processor without some form of digital EQ.

I use a Pioneer 45TX as a pre/pro and have been very pleased with its ease of set-up and performance from the MCACC(Multi-channel Acoustic Calibration Circuit)for the price. The Yamahas have something similiar called YPAO. They both have microphones that you place at the listening position and they automatically set channel levels, delay, and digital EQ based on the room.

There's alot of good receivers out their now, so check out all the ones you can and make sure of the feature set and sonic signature that you like and will mate well with your room and speakers.

Good luck,

DJ

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I suspect many readers had the same reaction I did: If you're looking for a pre/pro, buy a pre/pro. Don't waste the money on amplification circuitry that, apparently, you won't be using.
The problems is that this isn't always necessarily true. For example, the Rotel RSX-1055 receiver typically sells for $200 less than the RSP-1066 preamp/processor, yet by all accounts, the processor section of both units is identical.

Another issue is budget. There are a lot of very good 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 receivers available new for under $1500. But there are far fewer 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 processors available in that price range, even on the used market. Also, many of those that are available won't have some of the newer features, like DPL-II, advanced bass management, etc. Another consideration is that if someone has a 5 channel amp. adding a 7.1 receiver will give them 7.1 audio without also needing to immediately replace their amp or add a 2 channel amp. Another option would be to use the receiver amps for the surrounds so that the 5 channel main amps could be used to bi-amp the mains. So for some people a receiver as a pre-pro will be a very valid option.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I suspect many readers had the same reaction I did: If you're looking for a pre/pro, buy a pre/pro. Don't waste the money on amplification circuitry that, apparently, you won't be using.
I agree with Dan. Receivers are typically on the cutting edge of technology. You’ll have to spend way more on a pro-pro to get the same features that even a mid-line receiver like the Yamaha 1400 offers. Just make the receiver you’re looking at has pre-outs on all channels.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
I use a Rotel RSX-1055 as a preamp and am very happy with it. Uses the same preamp as the 1066, but is $200 less, and includes a decent tuner. Be sure too check one out if you have a Rotel dealer in your area.

Earle

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Some people just don't have the kinda $$ it takes to get into a pre/pro with the features of todays receivers. I for one sold of my Marantz AV560U pre/pro(DD/DTS) and picked up a Yamaha RX-V1400. I was looking at 2.5x more I would have to spend to get a dedicated pre/pro with the same features.

Kevin

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
The reason is because I'm not going to spend money for everything at once. I'd prefer to have some sort of amplification right away then add a few amps later.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Interesting discussion. Wayne, what are some examples of "cutting edge" features that you could find on a mid-line receiver but that wouldn't be available on a current-model pre/pro? And how well can one expect those features to be implemented in a mid-line receiver?

M.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Michael,

The auto set-up routines that are offered on some Pioneers and Yamaha are an excellent example of a very attractive feature offered on mid-line receivers that isn't available on pre-pros costing 2, 3, 4 times as much. Of course, a valid argment could be made that most people buying a dedicated pre-pro costing $2.5K+ would rather have manual control, but the Pio and Yammie offer that, as well. Please note that I am not suggesting that a mid-line reciever might be as good as a high quality dedicated processor, that isn't true. The real differences between receivers and processors isn't features, but rather implementation of those features. Simply put, high end processors will sound better because they have higher quality componenets, better designs and better build quality.

But how many people can really take advantage of the accoustic benefits of true high end gear? In order to hear the benfits of a really good $3K processor you need an equally good amp(s), speakers and source components. IOW, a $15K+ system. How many people have or can afford that kind of system? What about the room they have that gear in? Damn few living rooms have acoustic properties that will allow you the hear the full potential of a true high end rig. To really hear the music, without room effects, extensive room treatments or a purpose built listening room are ususally required. Given the limitations of budget and the homes we live in, a good quality receiver may serve very nicely as a processor. Of course, I still dream about having one dedicated room for music and another for HT, but unless I hit the lottery, that's all it is.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I currently have a Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX receiver which has served me well for the past year and a half. Now, I'm thinking about adding an external amp to it(possibly the Outlaw Model 770) and I'm just wondering if the 47TX will serve as a good pre/pro when mated to the new amp. I know some people tend to think that you can only get good results with a dedicated pre/pro mated to a power amp, but I've also heard many others say a well-built high end receiver(like the 47TX) will work just fine as a pre/pro. Anyone here have any opinions or advice?

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
I have a denon 4802... has worked great for the past two years... now that I'm ready to spend some more, I'll be adding parasound a pair of parasound HCA1000A off the used market for roughly 300 each to start... this'll give me 125x2x2 into 8 ohms (2 for LR, 1 for center, and 1 for surround back), better than the 125 watts i'm getting out of the 4802 right now, when I get a little extra cash, I'll add two more and bridge two for the front LR... I'll still be using the 4802 for amplification for the surrounds, then adding two more and running them as bridged monoblocks (400 WPC into 8 ohms)... until I can afford to spend 4 grand for a pre/pro. For my needs, the 4802 will make a fine pre/pro until i can afford better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks