1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Receiver for Paradigm Titan Setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JorelB, Nov 25, 2002.

1. JorelB

JorelB Extra

Well I thought I was set to go buy my first setup but I think I may have found a better setup. My first choice was the JBL NSP1 setup with a SAWM40 sub but finally going out to look around what my local dealers had I saw some great prices on some Paradigms [​IMG] So now I'm thinking of getting a setup comprised of 4 Titans for mains and surrounds, CC-170 or CC270 for center and still the SA-WM40 Sony sub.
    But now I'm not sure what receiver to go with, with this setup. Originally I had planned to go with the Panasonic SAHE70 receiver but am not sure if this is still the way to go. I plan to keep this setup complete because when I do finally upgrade I will be purchasing a whole new system and this'll go to backup duty [​IMG] All I need to know is if this receiver will be good enough for these speakers or do I need to spend more money on a better receiver to make sure I get the best sound outta the Titans. Remember I don't need a receiver good enough to handle speaker upgrades down the road, just good enough to handle these.
    And as always thanks so very much!
    PS You guys rock! [​IMG]

2. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

What are you planning to use the system for? Pure HT, or 50 HT/50 Music. Depending on your type of listening determines what receiver you should get.

3. JorelB

JorelB Extra

This system will be 100 percent HT. Absolutely no music will be played on it, unless of course it's in the movie [​IMG]

4. Nick Cerretti

Than you really can't go wrong with anything in the Panny 70 price range (well, except for maybe Sony [​IMG]). The 70's older brother, the SAHE100, has been getting rave reviews for here and in magazines, so I don't think you could go wrong with it, but it would be worth checking out the Pioneer, Onkyo, Yahama, Kenwood, and Denon in this price range.
    IMO, you aren't going to notice much difference in the sound between each receiver though for pure HT use. I would write down the features you really need, and see which brand offers it. That would most likely be the one you should get.

5. JorelB

JorelB Extra

Sweet! Thanks alot man!
    This receivers on sale right now, so pretty much nothings in it's price range. Except the Sony STRDE585 which I have been taught to avoid, since it's a lower end Sony [​IMG] Looks like I've finally settlesd for what I'm gonna get! But one more question, this setup would sound better than a HTiB like Kenwoods 505, correct?
    Gettin real sleepy, so laterz! [​IMG]

6. Bill Street

Bill Street Stunt Coordinator

Hi!

What's the Panny 70 going for? If you're in the mood for a bargain you could get a refurb H/K from Harmanaudio.com. My H/K 120 does a great job powering my Titans!

Bill S.

7. JorelB

JorelB Extra

Right now it's at $270 CDN. The "good" receivers don't start till 500 round here [​IMG] But like I said all I need is a receiver to power these speakers not anything in the future.

8. Nick Cerretti

This setup would blow away any HTiB. It's not even close.

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I have a pair of titans running off of a REALLY cheesy old sony receiver. I love the titans btw. Paradigm should be charged with a crime for selling them so cheaply, it really is a steal [​IMG] . Anyway, getting back to the point, a decent amp should do you fine, especially for movies. Be warned though, as I have found this to be the case, that in unfurnished, and "bright" rooms, the tweeters on the titans can be quite fatiguing. It's not a problem on nicer equipment, and I like a hot high-end, but on my cheesy sony receiver, if you turn it up, it's hard to listen to. Still, by the same token, going overboard on these extremely nice for the price speakers really isnt necessary. They are not demanding, and running them off of a reference Mark Levinson rig really won't gain that much performance. (i heard my titans at the dealer off just such a rig, and they sound just as nice here at home off an old 30W sony)
    And nick is right, this WILL blow away all the HTiBs. You will be very happy [​IMG]. Just for thoughts, it may be more cost effective to go with atoms in the rear. I am planning just such a setup, but running off of the monitor line. You might spend a little more and get the focus, they are a little larger, and although i have not heard them, i have heard that they are better, and probably a little deeper too.