What's new

Receiver for Paradigm speakers (1 Viewer)

gtp3

Auditioning
Real Name
Dev
I'm looking to get a receiver to power a home theatre in the basement. Right now it consists of a 52" samsung lcd flat panel 1080p, xbox 360, and hd cable box. I intend on picking up a ps3 for bluray in the near future as well.

I will be getting a set of Paradigm monitor 9's with probably cc290 or 390 centre channel and maybe the titans for the surrounds. A sub will come in the future as well, and from what I hear, SVS is one of the top brands.

What would be a good receiver to power these and what features should I be looking for? The system will be used for gaming, tv/movies and music as well.
I am looking to spend maybe 500-700 on the receiver; does that sound reasonable for something decent?
I have looked into Yamaha and Denon so far online. I also hear Onkyo is good value for the money. I'm looking to get the best bang for the buck.

Let me know what you guys think would be suitable.
Thanks!

gtp3

Auditioning
Real Name
Dev

Thanks for the response.
Can you elaborate on why this would be a good choice when picking a receiver?

At the price range of the HK254, I also see the Yamaha 6190 and Denon AVR889. I understand that some manufacturers will overstate their numbers, but the Yamaha and Denon have a lot more power for the price than the HK does. Would the HK be able to keep up with the speakers at higher volumes without distorting the signal? Are there any features the HK offers that make it better than the competition?

I am merely comparing different receivers online, so please excuse my ignorance if it's a stupid question.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I agree. Really, any decent receiver should do. I was using a Yamaha RX-V995 to power my Monitor 9s for years before I got a separate amp (Anthem MCA-5) which made the Monitors sound even better.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
a warm amp would be best. the Paradigms can sometimes sound bright even for how great they are, matching is key.

I run Paradigm Monitor 7 Towers (v.3), CC-370 Center, Sapphire Surrounds (Paradigm Surrounds were way too much around here, not reasonable at all), and a SVS 25_31PC+. I have been running this setup for quite a while and for the price this was the best bang for my buck. its a nice combo and sounds excellent. I just wouldn't consider a Onkyo (not that you are, but its what I have), its just not a good match.

from what I heard later in a demo, I agree the HK is prob the best choice for the Paradigms. I wish I went that route but cost got to be a factor. when I am back at work I will upgrade to one.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor

I highly doubt with how easy to run the Paradigms are that you would run into distortion. for a while I was runnning my old Onkyo TX-DS494 on my setup and its only 55WAC and never did I have issues with distortion when I turned it up VERY high during movies or music. infact when I upgraded to a high watt Onkyo 80WAC amp, I wish I didnt cause the old Onkyo 55WAC in my 12x14 room was just fine.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
BTW: if I remember correctly, HK understates (or use to) their WAC. if I remember correctly from reviews I have read that sometimes testing came out higher in WAC than stated by HK.

not sure now how they compare now, to how they use to make them.

gtp3

Auditioning
Real Name
Dev
Thanks for the responses guys.
How would I be able to tell which receivers are "warm"? I assume this means it would produce less high frequency sounds?

I'm looking at some prices at a local audio store. They have the Yamaha RXV861 for $400CDN...however it is missing all the HD features I see on some other receivers (Dolby True HD, DTS-HD, etc.) that can be found on the RXV863, but that is $700CDN.
The HK254 also doesn't have these features. How much of a difference does it make to have a receiver capable of HD sound output? I want to get a receiver that will last a few years and won't require upgrading anytime soon.

For the price, the HK seems to have a lot less features and power compared to some of the other brands (mainly Yamaha and Denon I'm looking at). Is there any reason why those brands aren't being recommended? The specifications and price look a lot more attractive...?

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
thats where Onkyo shines, price & features makes them competitive in the market. they offer alot of features for price.

Onkyo may not be as warm vs the others but they still put put very nice sound.

gtp3

Auditioning
Real Name
Dev
Hey Ralph,

One receiver that looks like good value to me is the Yamaha RX-V663. Do you guys think it would be a good match the the Paradigms? How would it compare to something like the Denon 1909 or 789?

I am going to consider some other brands before looking at Onkyo as its not a warm receiver.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
that looks like a nice receiver, got everything.

I think it would be a good match, better than Onkyo.

gtp3

Auditioning
Real Name
Dev
Okay I pretty much have it down to the Yamaha 663 and the Denon 789...
Anything in the same price range that would also be good to consider?

itschuck2c

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
Paradigm and Harmon Kardon are a great match. I have people compliment me on well my old hk3250 and pardigm 7se's sound and that setup is like 10plus years old.

HK does wonderful things with less power than most do with twice the power.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
stop chuck! I can't afford a new amp.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

dragonetti

Grip
Real Name
Scott Drago
I have owned a pair pair of monitor 7's, cc350, and monitor 3's for a long time now. They have seen a few receivers in their time, but the two that stood out were Onkyo and Denon. I am running a Denon 3808 right now which is a better match than the Onkyo 787 was. I don't know if it was the 20wpc that made the difference or the brand. The Onkyo was strong on the mids and highs and not good with the lows. Denon sounds harm and full from high to low, it is perfect. Denon gets my vote :emoji_thumbsup:

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
I am using an older top-of-the-line Harman Kardon receiver with Klipsch speakers and have no complaints at all! I would recommend Harman Kardon.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

STARKILLER1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Lou
I'm using a Yammie 663 w/ my Paradigms; but, I also have an Emotive UPA-7 amp. Just about any midrange receiver will do. The real difference will be when an external amp is added. Good luck.

corbin110

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory
Like other people have said, any receiver should work fine. I myself have an Onkyo TX SR-705 powering my Paradigm Monitors and it works great. However, I do believe that they are not selling the 705 anymore but I think the new version is the 706.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks