Receiver for my xbox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronArmstrong, Nov 29, 2001.

1. AaronArmstrong

AaronArmstrong Stunt Coordinator

I am receiving a X-box for X-mas!

However I need a receiver to take advantage of the

sound capabilities of the x-box. I know next to nothing

about this subject. Can anyone recommend a captible

receiver for around 150-200 dollars?

Thanks

Aaron Armstrong

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I saw a Technics at Ultimate Electronics that had a MOSFET amp and did DD5.1, DTS, and DPL for $199 on sale from $250. I thought about buying it, but decided to get a Pioneer for the Component Video Switching feature, and paid $275 for a Pioneer 710S
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...ADX950&o=P&a=0
    That is a link to the reciever at Crutchfield, so you can check it out they have it listed at $249.99 with a $50 mail in rebate.

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

Aaron, you sound like a perfect candidate for a Home Theatre System in a Box. This would include a DD-5.1/DTS receiver with 80-100 watts per channel and six speakers (center, two fronts, two rear surrounds, and a subwoofer). The lower end ones can now be found, if you look hard for sales, for $300-400. I would look at the Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic, maybe RCA and Technics, and make sure the system includes a POWERED subwoofer of at least 50 watts. Avoid the passive (non-powered) subwoofer at all costs. Believe me, you get alot of bang for the buck with these systems as an entry level HT system.

4. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

5. Jeff P

Jeff P Agent

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Whatever receiver you get, make sure it has a fibre-optic digital input, as this is what the xbox requires for DD5.1.