What's new

Receiver for my Playstation 2...will this work? (1 Viewer)

Fabian

Auditioning
Hi everyone, this is my first post. ;)
I use component video monster cables with my PS2 so I am forced to use its digital optical output if I want to hear sound. Currently, I have it hooked up to the digital optical input of my computer soundcard (Terratec EWX 24/96) which means that to play a game and hear what's going on, I have to turn on my computer as well. I want to get a receiver so I don't have to turn on my computer everytime I want to play a game.
I'm looking at strictly an entry-level receiver, so according to Bob McElfresh's receiver comparison post, either the Kenwood VR-6050 or JVC RX-6020VBK.
Now the tricky part. I have no speakers, only my headphone system. Part of my system is a headphone amplifier that only supports RCA inputs. This means that when I connect the amplifier to one of the recievers RCA outputs, the receiver must be able to route the sound from the digital optical input to one of the RCA outputs. Will either of the receivers mentioned above be able to route the sound from a Toslink input to an RCA output? I hope you're not all confused. :D Thanks.

Rob Bruce

Agent
I run a Yamaha RX-V620, paid about $650CAN. Anyway, it has a built in headphone amplifier. You can plug your ps2 into the reciever, and output it to headphones all in one box.

Fabian

Auditioning
The thing is, I have a dedicated headphone amp ($$$) that I want to use so it's important that I find a receiver that does what I want it to do. Does anyone know if receivers can route the Toslink input to an RCA output?

Fabian

Auditioning
Nobody knows? I'll just give this thread one last bump to see if anybody else can help me out. ;)

MancusoB

Agent
I think either one of those will be able to feed your headphone amp from TAPE OUT rca outputs. You should select Dolby Digital STEREO when listening this way.

However, there may be stand-alone dolby digital decoders out that may do the same thing without speaker amplification, etc.

BTW, I know at least one manufacturer (Sony?) makes a wireless surround sound headphone set that gets it's signal from a toslink cable.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Fabian- Since no one seems to know, I'll give you my guess. My guess is no. I don't think most receivers perform up or down conversions which in your case would be from component to composit. For the defining answer, check the owners manual of the receivers your interested in.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Fabian- Don't know what I'm thinking since your only interested in audio a composit connection is all you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks