Receiver for my Paradigms

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry_Heise, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Henry_Heise

Henry_Heise Auditioning

This is my first post here on HTF and would like to say this is a great site. I just discovered this site a week ago and love reading all the posts. I am building a house that my family will be moving into in November. I am building a dedicated home theater in the basement. I want to use my Paradigms that I have. I have Monitor 9's, a ccc350, adp350 surrounds and a pw2200 sub. I am looking for a receiver that will drive the paradigms in 6.1 or 7.1 mode. Something in the $1500.00 or less range. I also need suggestions for the rear surrounds for the Paradigms. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks[​IMG]

2. AndrewBest

AndrewBest Extra

I would suggest something from Denon or H/K. For Denon I would go with either the 2802 or the 3802. With H/K I would go with the 320 and buy an external stereo amp from Parasound. I suggest these brands because they have a relatively smooth top end that match well with the forward top end of the Paradigms.

3. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

The following is a copy & paste from a reply to a thread on another forum:
    A power-range rating is given as a guide to indicate the minimum and maximum power input, approximately, of your PARADIGM REFERENCE speakers.
    Amplifiers that exceed your speaker's power-range rating are, in fact, recommended. Their greater power reserves provide better sound. However, exercise caution! Use the speakers within their power-range rating to prevent damage (keep listening levels below the point of excessive woofer cone excursion).
    An amplifier rated for 200 watt/ch RMS is the minimum that I would suggest for the Studio/100v.2 and the Studio/CC. A less powerful amplifier could be used for the surrounds but you may find it to be more cost effective to simply select a suitable 5-channel model.
    Thanks for choosing Paradigm speakers.

The link should be followed and read. The person providing the information is bdlloyd, and I am waiting on a followup email addy for Paradigm to inquire to myself.
    The problem is that for a given capable amplification range of X to 24X, Paradigm is saying that a minimum of 12-14X is best with sufficient power on all channels to exceed 24X be available (but not used).
    Now, imagine 'X' is the minimum of 15W, which would imply a range of 15-360W and the 'useful' starting point of amplification is 180-210WPC. Can we say Ouch? [​IMG]

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't feel Denon has the smoothest top end. The models mentioned sound more like Yamaha than Harman Kardon or Marantz to my ears. For HT, Denon has impressive channel separation though.

In the $1500 price range, I would give the Marantz SR8200 a listen.

If you might go with an external amp and a less expensive receiver, then possibly the Marantz SR7200 or Harman Kardon AVR520.

Rear surrounds: Mini Monitors.

5. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I'm using my Paradigm Reference (4XStudio-40 + 2xStudio-CC) with a Rotel RMB-1095 5x200W w/o any problem. I listen at extreme level sometimes, and it's impossible to have any clipping with this beast. It's better to have more power than not enough power. The Reference are shining and are in love with the Rotel!:b

BTW, I was using the same speakers with a Yamaha RX-V3200 and I really prefer the sound coming from the Rotel.

Don't listen to people talking of the "brightness" of the paradigm's. I think it's more a room acoustic issue. After doing really easy tweaking to my room (book piles, pillows, drapes on wall, etc) there is no brightness at all. My room was just not "tweak" enough at first.

6. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Lévesque, you are using a 5x200 to drive the 40's, which according to Paradign literature on their website ...

Suitable Amplifier Power Range: 15 - 180 watts
    Maximum Input Power: 140 watts**

Now, compare this to the 100's ...

Suitable Amplifier Power Range: 15 - 350 watts
    Maximum Input Power: 210 watts**

** With typical program source, provided the amplifier clips no more than 10% of the time.

I would more than appreciate what Paradigm Tech Support is saying when tring to drive the 100's with a nx100 receiver and then comparing the behavior to your 40's on and nx200 system. In fact, I would not expect you to have any problem what so ever.

I also wonder how your 40's would handle with the Pioneer Elite 45TX, as I've seen this receiver repeatedly shut down when attempting to drive the 100's beyond anything below moderate volumes.

7. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I've decided to go with 5X200 for the Studio-40 AFTER a couple E-mail with Paradigm customers services. I was hesitating between the RMB-1095 (5X200) and the RB-1090 (2x380watts). The Paradigm rep was hesitating for the RB-1090 but said no-prob for the 5X200. He was hinting that more power is a lot better then not enough power... So clipping is a lot worst for the speakers then to much power. And I'm sure I'm never near using 200watts!! I think that at normal listening level, I must be far from it!

I never listen with the volume knob completely to the maximum setting... I'm using this set-up since 3 months, and it's near impossible to have this beast clipping!

8. Steve Marsh

Steve Marsh Stunt Coordinator

Henry
    I have Paradigm Studio 60s and this is my experiece.
    I have owned Onnkyo, Marantz, Sony ES, and Rotel recievers.
    IMO The Rotel is the best balance between smoothness and detail.
    The Marantz (7200) was great for music but I believe it gave up some detail for smoothness and was lacking dynamics for movies. (seemed underpowered at 105 w/pc)
    The Onkyo (TXDS676) seemed very dry but had decent power (at 85 W/pc) and dynamics for movies. If I was only using it for movies this may be my choice since they can be had relatively cheap with all the decoding in relation to the others.
    The Sony STR-DA2ES was way too bright for music or movies. It did however have a level of upper detail above all the others. If you like a bright sound it could be the way.
    So for me the clear winner was the Rotel 1055. It just seemmed to have the right balance and all the necessary decoding. The only trouble is that you need another amp for 6.1 and 7.1 speakers as it only has 5 amped channels. The amps are assignable so you could run a better 2/ch amp for the front and use the Rotel for the others if you like. The Rotel also has a fantastic remote which IMO is very important for HT. The Sony remote was Trash and the Marantz looked nice but was not much better. The Onkyo had a good remote also. Do not buy a reciever for HT that does not have a backlit remote unless you already own a Pronto or the likes.
    Steve