What's new

Receiver for my B&W 804's HT (1 Viewer)

GetGray

Grip
I am putting together my HT and I have a Front Projector, and B&W Nautilus 804's and a HTM-2 center channel. I do not have a B&W budget :frowning: . 5.1 is all the speakers I plan on having. I would liek to stay with a receiver to keep some costs down but I want one that will drive the B&W's OK. Originally I got a Denon 3805 to try and it seems OK, but others have suggested the Marantz units will do better.

Can anyone offer some input (other than use separates) on a good receiver? I looked at a refurb's Marantz SR-18EX and the 8400. More power withthe 18 but I dont' know if I'll lose too much functionality with it. I read it has issues with LFE config (can't).

Thanks,
Scott

Robbie R

Stunt Coordinator
A couple models from Rotel to consider.

Rotel RSX-1065 5 X 100
Rotel RSX-1067 7 X 100 (7 channel and a few updated goodies)

I have a Rotel RSX-1065. It is powering B&W603's, LCR600, & 601's. I am VERY happy with it powering my 600 series B&W's BUT.........

I bought this unit from my brother who was using it to power B&W CDM 7 fronts, CDM Center, and CDM1 rears. It powered the CDM's OK, but it was lacking depth, or should I say it sounded empty. (Sorry I can't put into words what you hear) He replaced the Rotel RSX-1065 with a Rotel RMB 1095 (5x200) amp, and it made a HUGE difference. (Night & Day) Now his HT sounds like a modern movie theater. The depth and sound stage is incredible. You feel completely engulfed in the sound. (I hope this makes sense)

If the 804's are anything like the CDM's, they are power hungry, and I am not sure if there is any receiver on the market that will truly bring them to life. In my opinion not buying a separate power amp for your incredible speakers is a crime:frowning:

I know you don't want to hear about separates and are on a budget, but you should "consider" looking into something like the Outlaw 755 power amp (5X200) for $1299.00 and a cheap or used receiver with pre-outs. This set-up will cost about the same, or less money than a "flagship" receiver from any manufacturer, and probably sound way better!! :emoji_thumbsup:

GetGray

Grip
Thanks for the input. There are some used Marantz monoblocks for sael. Maybe I should take a look at those.

Robbie R

Stunt Coordinator

I agree 100%. I know how it feels to have a budget. It took me a long time to save up for my HT, and I bought it piece by piece.

If I was in your shoes I would save, save and save, until I had enough cash to buy an Amp. Your speakers deserve it!

One other thing to consider is a used 2 channel Bryston, 3B or 4B. They sound fantastic and have a 20 year Transferable Warranty!!!!! Check out Audiogon or Ebay.

GetGray

Grip
And I probably will but it won't be today. Today I need something decent to make them go. I literally have nothing. Well I have a Denon 3805 I'm "borrowing" from Tweeter. It sounds OK but I'm sure something else would sound better. At the limits of my budget (pushing it) is a local dealer closing out a new NAD 773. Same dealer carries the B&W's and he thinks that Receiver would be fine with my 804's. Anyone else have an opinion on that particular unit?

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
Give HK 7200/7300 a shot. I drive my B&W 604s with HK 7200. It sounds awesome. Tweeter sounds good though this.

Robbie R

Stunt Coordinator

Sorry Scott

I assumed you owned the 3805. I did not realize you were "Borrowing" ;) it from tweeter.

Don't you just love big box store return policies :emoji_thumbsup:

GetGray

Grip
Yes, love the 30day plan. Honestly I really was considering it, but mainly I HAD to get SOMETHING to get the speakers producing at least a peep.

Scott

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I would suggest getting something with pre-outs and buying a cheap work horse amp like a carver or nad just for the L/C/R. I have N804s powered by Rotel RB-1090 from Anthem AVM-20. I had to send in my AVM for a repair and my dealer loaned my and HK receiver (5### something). Let em tell you. the sound IMO was horrible! Taxing, bright awful. N804s are very revealing and if yuou put junk on them, junk will be revealed by them.
Marc

Mark C.

Supporting Actor

That is the typical misconception. At 89db, the 804s are relatively efficient and can be driven by a good qualty 100 wpc amp or receiver without problem. The NAD is a good choice, with the option of adding an outboard two-channel amp at a later time. The NAD can fit the bill temporarily.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Mark I agree with you until you hit the lower frequencies. At the lower end of the 804s frew resp vs. impedence you see a big drop in impedence down to ~2ohm range (all of the top of my head I haven't looked at it for a while) which translates to the 804s needing a high power amp with a good pwoer supply to reproduce the lower tones. This is why a lot of N804 owners complain about the 804s not having enough bass. You need to feed it a lot of juice. Now that does not mean that you can't use these with a decent 100wpc amp and Mark and I and others have suggested. Just get a sub for the lowers until you can feed it more in the future. I am feeding mine 380wpc from a Rotel RB-1090. TOns of good juice and plenty of bass.
Enjoy!
Marc

David_SG

Stunt Coordinator
If you're looking for a receiver that excels with music and is also very capable for HT, check out the Arcam AVR200. It may seem underpowered at only 70 wpc x 5, but that's a very honest 70 wpc. Retailing for $1200, it has been discontinued, but can still be had new for $900 or so. Price may drop even further once the AVR250 arrives this week.

GetGray

Grip
Thanks guys for the continuing input. I didn't pay $4500 for these 3 speakers, I can't spend $7000 on exectronics to feed them as someone on a different forum claimed. If they are crummy without same, I'll unload them.

Assuming they'll do OK without throwing that much $$ at them then my current plan is to look at decent receiver (NAD got a lot of bad press and bad experience input from others so I nixed them). As of today a decent deal appears to get a high end Marantz receiver with 125wpc and watch for a good deal later on on a multichannel amp for the F/C/R. Maybe that'll run them OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.