Receiver for HT and Stereo Duty

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PeterCB, Nov 21, 2002.

1. PeterCB

PeterCB Agent

I am a long time reader but a recent member and first time poster on this forum. It is really a cut above all of the other A/V forums I have seen.

I am looking for advice on a receiver. I will be running 5.1 HT in one room and stereo in the living room next to it. I only want to use one receiver to power both rooms, so I need either A/B speaker capabilities or 7 amp channels (so I can use 2 to power the living room). I plan to use Definitive Technology speakers (BP2006TL mains, 2003C/L/R center, and BP2X surrounds), so I need something that can handle down to 4 ohms. I mention this because I read about problems with certain receivers(e.g., Pioneer Elite)going into protect mode with these speakers. I have pretty much narrowed my selection down to Denon (3803), Marantz (7300) and HK (525), whose power supplies I think can handle the Def Techs.

Please let me know if any of you have had experience with these receivers/speakers, or if you have other suggestions. I know the receivers are all new models, so your feedback will probably be based on their predecessors. BTW, I will be using the system mostly for music (I like a "warmer" vs. a "brighter" sound), and my budget is ~ $900.

2. GenoM

GenoM Extra