What's new

Receiver for Dayton 3's (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Heck

Auditioning
Hello,

I am just getting into Home audio, and am building Wayne's Dayton 3's. I am looking for a low cost receiver, as I am on the budget of a college student.

I found the Denon 483 (1403) for 199.99 from etronics, so am seriously considering this.

I am starting with just the two D3's, but will probably move to 5.1 in time. My question is, how well will this receiver work with the d3's? I know that they present a 4 ohm load, and that the Denon recommends a minimum impedance of 6. Is this something that I actually need to worry about, or should I just forget the minimum impedance?

Thanks.

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
Some receivers, even though they say 6 ohm minimum, can handle 4 ohm. The d3s can go fairly low on their own (I don't have d3 but have a BR-1, which uses the same drivers), which puts more demands on an amp. I don't have any experiance with the Denon, but I recently purchased a HK520 in anticipation of going to 4 ohm mains. I would try to fill-out the rest of your speakers with 8 ohm, to lesson the load on the receiver. Also, make sure you get one with pre-outs, so you have the option to go to a seperate amp, for the mains, in the future. Once you have a sub, running the d3s in small, can help reduce the load, as well.

Posting on the Parts Express board might find more people actually using the D3 in HT.

JohnS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks