Receiver for both music and HT (was set on HK but hearing of shut down problem)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Max.D, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Max.D

Max.D Auditioning

Hello all, I'm new here. I've been reading and using the search function quite a bit and had my heart set on buying a receiver, the HK 520. Then I started reading about the shut down problems and I just can't do it. Feel a bit depressed, it took a lot for me to get to the HK 520.

So, can anyone recommend a a receiver that is both musical and good for HT (say 50/50)? I like a warm sound, don;t like bright at all. Onecall had a good price on the 520, ~$520 shipped. So I'm looking to spend around that much.

I'll be matching the receiver with either CBM-170 mains/center or Paradigm Titans/CC-170.

2. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

I have an avr320, it has never shutdown on me.

3. Max.D

Max.D Auditioning

It's good to hear a balance and I can't imagine that the majority of the HK's have this problem but I don't want to take a chance, especially since i live in an old house, things tend to flicker with appliances as it is (on certain circuits).

4. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

I've had no shutdown problems either, with HK520. It was purchased from OneCall (Sept 2002) build date. House is only 12-13 years old, so wiring is in decent shape. Outside a few quirky things, I really like this receiver. I have about about 60 hrs on it, with 50 being 2 channel stereo.

I was eying the Denon 2802 before getting the HK. Might be tough to get in your price range from an Authorized dealer, though. The 2803 should be coming out soon, which should drive the 2802 price down.

JohnS

5. Dave Jewett

Dave Jewett Agent

Max,
    I have an HK 520, and I did have the shutdown problem described here... I'm almost certain it has to do with the power at my house, because the unit often shut off after my AC turned on. I've also noticed that any major appliances (HVAC, dryer, etc.) cause audible "pop" sounds on the line when I'm listening to my JVC amp through headphones (amp's plugged directly into the wall, no surge protection). The house is 25 years old, so I imagine the power isn't that great to begin with.
    I've since purchased a Panamax DBS+5 surge protector, and the shutdown problem has been fixed for over two months... Before that I used to have the problem a few times a week.
    FWIW, I love my 520 and wouldn't trade it for anything in that price range... it's a great receiver! [​IMG]
    Dave