receiver for around $200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Andrew S-, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Andrew S-

Andrew S- Stunt Coordinator

looking for a receiver that is around $200. can be more but less than $300. will be used for music and movies in a small bedroom but will be used mostly with cable tv. any suggestions?

2. ChrisMcL

ChrisMcL Extra

A $200 spending limit for a receiver will severely limit the features you'll have available. Denon is changing it's product lineup, so you may be able to pick up an AVR-1403 on sale for under $300. You can get their new model for $299.

The sweet spot for low-price A/V receivers is $500. For that much, you can get component video switching, lots of inputs, ample power, C to S video conversion, and a nice remote.

3. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

My pick would for a new rceiver under $300.00 would be the Harmon Kardon AVR125, not all the bells and whistles of a similiar priced model like the Onkyo sr501 , but a much superior amp section so much better sound on movies and music . I would gladly trade features like component switching and a 6th amplifier channel for better sound quality. JandR has the HK 125 for $269 right now with free shipping and they are factory authorized so you get the full warranty. If you can go used , I found a mint Onkyo 575x for a friend here on the HTF for $150 but they typically go for $200 used. That model was the last of the great Onkyos' IMHO , back when they met their rated power specs with all channels driven. Cheap Home Theater picked that one over the Outlaw 1050 for sound.

4. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

Andrew, I think the absolute best bang for your buck would be a Denon AVR-1803 from Dakmart. These guys are one of the VERY FEW Online Denon Authorized dealers. These are Denon refub units, but, they come with the FULL 1 year warranty since Dakmart is authorized. The 1803 is a $500 reciever. This would be a great step in the right direction. Its only a tad over $300 at $323, but it would be worth the little extra. I just bought my Denon 2900 from Dakmart, and I have a very extensive HT setup! You can find Dakmart on ebay as well. You should be able to link to them from the Denon website under authorized dealers.

The 1803 has these specs:

Dolby Digital Surround EX
    Dolby Pro Logic II
    DTS ES Discrete 6.1 A/V Receiver
    Dolby Digital, including Surround Ex decoding •
    Dolby Pro Logic II decoding with Cinema and Music Modes • DTS ES Discrete 6.1, Matrix 6.1 decoding •
    DTS Neo:6 Cinema & Music Surround decoding •
    Analog Devices Melody 32-bit Fixed Point DSP processor • 6 Channels equal power amplifier section •
    80 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,

5. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

You can get the Denon 1603 for $200 incl shipping from an authorized dealer here

6. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

Wow, that is a great deal! Hmmm, well, if you plan on sticking with only 5 speakers.... you'd better hop on that before it goes away.

Dang, I might even have to pick me up one for the bedroom.

Good call, Greg.

7. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Andrew,

8. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

In my opinion, there is no better deal out there than the Denon 1603 for $200 shipped. That is an unheard of price. The only features that reciever is missing is the 6th rear channel and of course dts-es.

I would go to 6th Ave and buy it quick!!

9. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

If you check pricegrabber.com you can find a Harman 125 for 195-199 and around 210.00 shipped - 225s are around 230-240

Just a thought

E

10. kevin tate

kevin tate Stunt Coordinator

Adam, that's an excellent deal. I used front l & r pre-out to connect my subwoofer, since my sub has a cross-over, and using sub-out and large front speakers setting from my receiver produces no sound from my sub (double cross-overed). I believe the Denon 1803 does not have pre-outs.

11. Mike_Cat

Mike_Cat Auditioning

Just checked the link provided, it says 245.00 shipped.

12. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

This was posted back in August, So I wouldn't have expected it to still be $200.

13. Andrew S-

Andrew S- Stunt Coordinator

yeah i ended up getting the 1603...great reciever but my rca connection is crap. i am using it for awhile until i can decide on a new tv. i have tried several sets of cables with the same result so it must be the reciever. i only get sound from the right channel. i have to wiggle the rca almost every day to get all the speakers. i am debating on sending it in. i really dont want to pay shipping.

14. John S

John S Producer

I don't know if you bought yet, but I can securly proclaim the Onkyo SR-501 the best 6.1 reciever with HDTV component video switching under $200 after my install last night.

Quite high end sounding indeed.

15. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

The HK225 is working like a champ-$230.

I almost took johns advice for the 501 but I'm happy so I will remain mute [​IMG]

rogo

16. Iver

Iver Second Unit

That Pioneer VSX-D812 that Pablo posted looks nice.

The Denon 1603 is a great receiver, though it's now $270 at 6ave. That's still a great deal compared to Crutchfield who is selling it for full list, $400.

If you want to save a bit of money and still go with new, jandr has the Panasonic SA-HE75 for about $150. It's a decent basic 5.1 receiver.

17. Jonathan Carter

Jonathan Carter Supporting Actor