What's new

receiver for an avid music listener (1 Viewer)

David Walker

Agent
I've heard amazing things about Marantz and I'm leaning to one of the x200 series models. (probably the 5200 or 6200).

Are there any other specific models out there I should keep my eye on that are great for music? I've demo'd a Denon 1802, and I just wasn't impressed at all, even though I've heard great things about it's musical reproduction.

Mainly, I'm looking for reassurance on my Marantz decision, but I certainly don't want to overlook any of its competitors out there. Thanks!

David

JackS

Supporting Actor
I think a stereo pre/amp combo is what your really looking for. SS or tube is a matter of preference. A slight comprimise might lead you to some integrateds. If your also in need of HT, any inexpensive receiver will fill this need. Good luck, Jack

Larry B

Screenwriter
Depending on your price range, I would suggest you look into an integrated amp. Integrated amps are experiencing a strong come-back, and there are products available from many really good companies. One company I think highly of is Arcam.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Speakers and room acoustics play a huge part in the final sound. In your budget range (Denon 1802, etc.) I'd suggest a set of quality headphones + headphone amp for optimal music listening.

David Walker

Agent
so you guys don't think one of the Marantz models paired with some good speakers would satisfy a hardcore music listener? I guess most of the A/V receivers are a lot more V and a little less A....

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Mainly, I'm looking for reassurance on my Marantz decision
Well, your experience with the Denon should have told you that you can't really trust what you read on boards like this :)
I'm almost completely a music guy, and I don't even have a home theater, technically. I have my DVD player's stereo analog outputs hooked up to my preamp, which feeds my amps which feed two speakers. For the price, music playback is excellent IMO, and movies are good enough for me, I'm not interested in surround sound and my apartment won't accomodate surround speakers easily anyway.
If you aren't really interested in 5.1, I too would recommend sticking with 2 channels, maybe with a subwoofer (I use one). There are plenty of products out there which will give you very good sound for not a whole lot of money.
What source and speakers do you have? Are these staying for a while, or are they going to be upgraded soon too? Room size, music preferences?

David Walker

Agent
Well, although I don't need it right now, I would eventually like to have some sort of home theater setup. Although that is far down the road, I'd like to get something I can pull that off with. So that would take me out of the 2 channel stereo receiver market
As for my speakers, I haven't decided which ones to purchase. I'm sure the music quality will depend a lot on my choice in speakers, but I haven't even thought about those yet. (one thing at a time!) :)
Also, I'm trying to keep my total costs to around $800 (not including the speakers) Can I accomplish this going with a stereo pre/amp? The respected ones all seem to be priced high.

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
David Walker: I would recommend harman/kardon receivers to you for music listening, while retaining up-to-date home theater capabilities. After owning two h/k receivers and demoing Denon multiple times, I can honestly say that the h/k sound more "musical" on ALL speakers, and generally are a better deal for the features than Marantz.

If you can put up with the aesthetics, look at the AVR 225 and the AVR 320.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
If you're willing to buy used, you can get many excellent preamps and amps, or integrated amps, for your budget. Even new, there are plenty of choices. If you decide to go that route, let us know and we should be able to help with equipment suggestions. One word of advice - hold off on this decision until you've picked speakers that you like. The speaker choice should drive the amp choice, not the other way around - you don't want to limit your speaker options because you picked a specific amp.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Also, I'm trying to keep my total costs to around $800
David, my plans have been put on hold until i get another house, but I plan on going the seperates route or at least an integrated amp for music also. Parasound seems to have decent "intro" prices in your range as well as companies like AMC and Rotel. May want to check www.audioadvisor.com if you haven't already. :emoji_thumbsup:

David Walker

Agent
okay, you guys might have swayed me toward the separates route. We'll see...

Questions though:

1. should I go integrated or pre/amp? I might be wording this question wrong (I'm not totally savvy in the separates market)

2. I'm still going to need a A/V receiver hooked up too right?

3. Are separates going to produce sound THAT much better than, say the Marantz SR6200?

Thanks!

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I'm still going to need a A/V receiver hooked up too right?
I don't own one. I use the stereo analog outputs of my DVD player, going to one of the inputs on my preamp. If you want to do surround sound and DD/DTS and all that, then yes, you'll need a home theater processor, which could be a receiver or a dedicated pre-processor (a receiver minus the amps, in case you aren't familiar with the term 'pre/pro').

Mal P

Stunt Coordinator
Hi David,

1. Using a separate pre-amp and amp combo will usually yield slightly higher dynamics (bass transients etc) as the pre-amp stage is usually 'active' (as opposed to integrateds, where the pre-amp stage is usually passive).

2. Yup. I have an old Sony 555ES receiver, whose L/R pre-outputs I plug into an input (say 'aux') on my stereo pre-amp. The pre-amp is then connected to my stereo power-amp, which drives the fronts. The Sony'a amps would drive the rear/centre. A CD player is connected directly to an input on the pre-amp, so the receiver is by-passed for stereo music listening.

3. The sound quality increase can be exponential over that of a mass-market Japanese receiver. The amp made a significant difference, but the pre-amp was astounding.

Cheers,
Mal

Michael WB

Auditioning
I can't really comment on the prices since I live in Denmark and don't know the prices in the US. But here Marantz is cheaper than HK and Denon.

Earlier this year I bought a SR4200. I choose that because of the way it sounded with music, and since I don't have room for a 6.1 or 7.1 system and because I knew I would ad an external amp there was no reason to by one of the bigger models.

I have bought a secondhand Denon POA-2400 2-channel amp (2x200w) which is driving my main speakers and helped improve the stereo sound.

The SR4200 and POA-2400 cost me 6.300 DKK which is roughly 800 USD. I'm sure you can do something similar and probably for less money.

When that's said I must agree with Rob. Find the speakers you want first and then by the electronics that match.

Michael

David Walker

Agent
If the amp is going to be doing all the work, will I even need a great receiver? I would assume not.

Also, if I decide to go integrated, what exactly have I decided to do. Meaning, what do you mean when you say "integrated"? Is that still considered separates? Or does integrated mean all-in-one unit, AKA an A/V receiver?

Last question, I would assume I'm going to have to buy a tuner separate too right? If so, it looks like going the separtes route can get pretty pricey fast...

(I gotta get the basic knowledge figured out before I can decide much further...)

Thanks!

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
An integrated amp usually combines the preamp stage (source selection, volume control, mute, balance, bass/treble, etc.) and the power amp stage (the part that drives the speakers). A tuner is usually not included. You could get a stereo receiver, which wouldn't have the A/V processing but would include a tuner.
As far as price, I would buy a standalone tuner. If you don't absolutely need to be able to store stations in memory, I'd go for a 70s analog tuner - you can get them on eBay for as little as $25, and some of the Pioneers/Sansuis from that era sound way better than any tuner you'll find bundled with a receiver today. Even if you must have a digital tuner, a little research should turn up good stuff that you can buy. For instance, I seem to remember that the Yamaha "Natural Sound" tuners (or whatever they were called) were supposed to have good sound. I'm using a 70s Pioneer, and on some stations it sounds almost as good as my CD player. I'd never heard soundstage depth on a radio program before.
It boils down to how much you're willing to pay for what you want, and that's a decision only you can take :) In general, as you pack more functionality into the same box, your total expenditure goes down, and usually so does sound quality.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
I would have thought a competant amp would be able to drive a wide range of speakers (not talking about 'stats here). Getting the best amp would then give you the widest choice in speakers.

An integrated amp has just a preamp and an amplifier stage - it's not separates be would sound much closer to that than a HT receiver. A stereo receiver (which also has a tuner) would also sound much better than a HT receiver as it doesn't have all the complex processing circuitry in the signal path and there are less devices fitted in the cost.

With a good stereo setup, you can later add HT by getting more speakers and a HT receiver that has at least stereo preouts (which the Denon 1802 does). A secondhand stereo integrated amp or receiver should be quite affordable and easy to find.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Why not just go and LISTEN to some integrateds first, in different price ranges, and see if they are what you want. If you are not looking for true audiophile level sound reproduction, then many of the higher up receivers from the major manufacturers do tend to cover most people's needs. My system doesn't give me music as well as I would like, but it does a very good job for what I paid and I am satisfied with it for now. I believe I have come to the conclusion that I may eventually have to have a separate 2ch setup just for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks