What's new

Receiver for 500-600? (1 Viewer)

Ronn_R

Agent
Hi,
I'm thinking about buying a new receiver for around $500-$600. I'll be using it 80% home theatre and 20% music. I will get new speakers after I move in to a house, currently I have an old JBL G500 tower, center and 2 rears. I might get either Energy Take 5.2/Encore, or the Paradigm Cinema/Atoms.
What are your opinions on the following receivers, and whether they're suitable for the above speakers:
- Denon AVR-2802
- H&K AVR-320/520
- Yamaha RXV-1200
- Nad T751/T761
Thanks.

Norman L

Second Unit
Ronn,
From a wattage point of view:
HK and Nad are honest about their spec for all channels running, just look at their specs.

Sound & Visions
Dennon 2802, 74w with 5 channels running
Yamaha 1200, 50w with 5 channels running

Listen to them all and let your ears advise you.

Ronn_R

Agent
Thanks Norman. I actually care more for sound quality rather than wattage. I will not be driving the receiver too loud. For sound quality, I think both H&K and NAD would be better compare to the others. My only gripes is that they only have 5 individual amps.
I know H&K can decode 7.1 so I can use a separate amp, how about NAD?
I'll try them out once I have the time. I live in a small city and there is no hifi store around, closest one is about 80 miles away.

Norman L

Second Unit
Ronn,
Crutchfield, allows you to return and they pay the shipping for the return. You can try the Denon and the HK from them.
Denon has 6 amps, I think the others do also?

Ronn_R

Agent
Hmm, nice to know that Crutchfield have a good return policy. I should try that.
Btw, from NAD website they do not mention anything about being able to decode more than 5.1, so I guess they're out of my choice.
I heard a lot about Marantz superiority in music production, but how about home theatre which I'll be using the most?

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
It had absolutely no problem with HT either. Maybe some more Marantz owners will post soon. However, I just sold my Marantz (see my thread titled "What a terrible day" in the After Hours Lounge) and I'm pissed. Must find way to get it back...

Ronn_R

Agent
Paul,
I'll be trying Marantz, maybe the 6200. I hope you'll find a job soon. It's hard to find one right now, but don't give up!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ronn, take a look at the Sony STR-DA3ES. It should be available in your price range from Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), or OneCall (1-800-340-4770). They are authorized dealers. The 'DA3ES is a good all-around performer. I'm not saying that the 'DA3ES is necessarily better than the other receivers you are considering, but it is worth a look. For more information on the 'DA3ES, see www.crutchfield.com .

Ferran Mazzanti

Stunt Coordinator
I own the Marantz 6200 and am realy happy with it.
It's essentially identical to the 7200 except for few details, and a little bit cheaper (though it comes with a worse remote). Musically speaking it is amazing, and from the home theater point of view, fantastic. I love Circle Surround over DPLII for sure. However, I'm not an HT expert and can't tell you how it compares to ther recivers such as Denon or H&K...

Ronn_R

Agent
The sony, from what I heard, sounds brighter than the rest, but on the other hand it has a powerful surround processor. Is it available in Best Buy? I might be able to try it out.
I heard a lot about Outlaw quality, but I do not consider it since it doesn't do DPL II and no 7.1, are they coming out with a new one?
Yesterday, I had a chance to audience Marantz 7200 with Marantz dvd and Paradigm cinema speakers. It was very good in movie, and ok in music(I think it is because of the small cinema speakers). The sound is amazing though for the size. But then I don't have anything else to compare to. The remote of the 7200 looks pretty nice too, but seems like some settings can only be done using the tv screen(such as speaker setup).
Brent, let us know how you like your new Marantz!

I have a Marantz 5200 and couldn't be happier. The 6.1 modes for any Dolby Dig 5.1 or DTS track is phenomanal. I use mine HT 95% music 5%. Granted I am not friends with a bunch of audiophiles or anything, but whenever I demo my home theater with a DTS preview or the THX on the Star Wars disc people say it is the best HT they have heard.

Only complaint I have is the people in the APT below me complaining all the time about it being to loud.... ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks