What's new

Receiver for 4K QLED TV (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Paul
I’m going to get a new TV, I’m looking at the Samsong 4K Q led with 2.1 HDMI ports. My Currant receiver is a Sony STR DN860. Can I use this receiver, or would it be best to upgrade to a new more modern receiver? I’m really not familiar with all the modern technology, I’m pretty much old school. I watch TV, and play music, and love to watch DVD’s, I also have a Dish Network hopper. Any advice will be greatly appreciated as I want to make sure I can take full advantage of the new 4K tv, but trying to figure out what I need is really confusing.
Thanks Much,
Paul

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
STR DN860 supports HDCP 2.2 so you should be good to go.

As far as I am aware, Dish Network doesn't support 4k as much as Directv does (and they barely do).

Real Name
Paul
Thank you very much for the info, just one more thing would it be worth it to purchase a 4 K DVD player?
Again thanks much,
Paul

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thank you very much for the info, just one more thing would it be worth it to purchase a 4 K DVD player?
Again thanks much,
Paul
Sure, once you start getting some 4K Blu Ray discs. BTW, just to avoid confusion, 4K discs are Blu Ray, not DVD.

Just keep in mind, 4K players are more expensive than DVD and regular Blu Ray players generally were. You're probably looking at a minimum of $200 to get one, maybe $150 on sale. For something better then bottom of the line, you're getting into $400.

Real Name
Paul
Ok well thanks again, I sure do appreciate your time. Like I said, all this new tech can really be confusing. I guess I’m stuck as far as regular TV viewing from my Dish hopper, but I’ll be plenty happy watching 4K blue ray movies. I’m going today to make my final selection on a tv, and since I don’t need a new receiver I’ll also buy a new 4K blue ray player and a few movies!
Thanks,
Paul

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know where you're buying, but on a player I suggest Panasonic. UB420 for lower end and UB820 for something better. The 420 doesn't do Dolby Vision, so discs with DV will play HDR10 instead, which is a fairly minor difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks