Receiver for 1st time HT with all surround modes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobAZ, Nov 11, 2002.

1. BobAZ

BobAZ Stunt Coordinator

I am putting together my first HT. I originally started looking for an all in one HTIB package. After looking around HTF I narrowed the field down to the Onkyo HT-S650. During that research I found a lot of HTF posts that convinced me to look at separates if I was going to pay at least $500 for the HT-S650.

The MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE is that the rcvr have a full set of 5.1 and 6.1 surround modes (in addition to DPL or DPLII ):
    DD 5.1, DD-EX, DTS 5.1, DTS-ES 6.1 Matrix and Discrete

So far, my top candidate is the Onkyo TX-SR600.
    Given the known issue that it drops to 34WX6 in multi channel mode, 34W still gets me 101dB (using JBL NSP-1 spkrs) per the SPL Calculator.
    +OSD, This seems like a real plus.
    +Learning, multibrand Remote
    +60MHz Component Bandwidth - Not needed right now but I can't find 6.1 rcvrs without component I/O.

Here are some other candidates suggested here at HTF and the shortcomings that I found per my criteria:
    Denon 1803 6.1
    EDIT: does have DD-EX or DTS-ES Discrete
    -no OSD
    +27MHz Component Bandwidth OK, need high 20's
    H/K 320 refurb 7.1
    -no DD-EX!
    Yamaha RXV-630
    -no DTS-ES Discrete
    -no OSD
    -Std remote
    Pioneer vsx-811s THD 0.9% 6.1?
    EDIT: does have DD-EX, DTS-ES Matrix and Discrete
    Kenwood VR-6070 $400
    -no DD-EX or DTS-ES Matrix
    +THX-EX! Does this replace DD-EX in features?
    +Learning, multibrand Remote

So if that makes sense, am I missing any low end 6.1 rcvrs with the above surround modes?

I've been bouncing between HTF, Vanns.com, ActiveBuyersGuide.com (great search and compare tool), eCoustics.com, OnkyoUSA.com, HarmonAudio.com

Thx for the help,
    Bob

2. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

Hi Bob,
    I just went through what you are going through now. I settled on the Panasonic SA-HE100. I believe it has all of the features that you are looking for. I decided on this unit because of it's feature set and price. Here is the Panasonic Web site info for this model:
    Panasonic SA-HE100
    Although is does not state that it has DD-EX, it actually does, Panasonic got the OK for DD-EX certification too late to put it on the box and in it's specs.
    I got mine for $250 delivered and I am loving it.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Contrary to what you've posted, all of the other receivers you have listed DO have DD-EX and DTS-ES Discrete and Matrix. You should look over the specs again.

Hope his helps.

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Bob:

Stephen's absolutely correct. Review the specs of these receivers again and you'll find you're mistaken about at least some, including the Denon 1803 and the Pionner 811S, both of which have all the decoding features you'll need.

--AM

5. BobAZ

BobAZ Stunt Coordinator

I stand corrected. The Denon 1803 and Pioneer VSX-811S do indeed have all the surround modes. I did not look at those manufacturer sites earlier.

Info from the H/K website does not mention DD-EX for the 320.

Does DTS-ES automatically mean Matrix and Discrete? Some maunfacturer specs and comparison websites specifically state both and others do not. i.e. Yamaha RXV-630 details from Yamaha website do not specifically state DTS-ES Discrete.

I kinda stuck on the OSD offered by Onkyo. Any thoughts on this? The Circuit City I went to didn't have a monitor hooked up.

6. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

The H/K 320 doesn't have DD EX. I don't own the unit so I can confirm this myself, but I believe it "unofficially" has the technology, but H/K doesn't want to spend the money to get the badge.

the Yamaha 630 does not have discrete dts-es. You're going to have to look online to confirm which receiver does and doesn't have it, as most stores would just say it has 6.1 decoding. I'm pretty sure most new receivers have dts-es discrete nowadays.

7. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

Bob:
    I just posted in another thread where the guy was looking for an entry-level 6.1 receiver. Check out my post in THIS THREAD.
    Hope that helps,
    Jeff

8. BobAZ

BobAZ Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to all for the great feedback. I guess the field has narrowed to the Pioneer 811S and the Onkyo SR600 (better THD and OSD).

I was shying away from the 0.9% THD rated rcvrs but the Pioneer 811S does have the best feature set for the money.

So looking again at the Pioneer website, specs say DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 with no mention of DTS-ES Matrix. In my earlier post, I verified it does have both modes. I have the Owner Manual .pdf at home, will check later. Can an 811S owner confirm the ES Matrix mode?