What's new

- Receiver Features vs....Power? - (1 Viewer)

Shane Burton

Agent
Hey, all. Been a long time since I posted.

Anyway, I am cobbling together yet another HT setup, from some older parts. I have RF7-II's, an RC7, SVS subs, etc...

I am kinda wondering what to do, receiver-wise. I purchased a refurb DTR 70.4 a little while back. I also have a new Onkyo 807. I was really excited to get the 70.4...because it is a beast. But, I really don't need the power with my Klipsch setup, tbh.

I see that I can get a cheap refurb DRX 2.1. Now, it is 33 lbs lighter than my DTR 70.4, lol....but it has every new surround format and the latest connectivity. It is rated pretty low in power, obviously.

I am just thinking, will I be happier with less power but modern features and connectivity? Years ago, when I started down the Klipsch road, I did it because I knew I wouldn't need to break the bank on amplification. Now, I am not so sure of the best way to go. Anyway, just looking for some thoughts...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do you have any need for the stuff the 2.1 has? Are you ready for 4K or Atmos? If not, why spend the money? The 70.4, power and new features aside, is a higher quality receiver. Either one has more power than you need. If it were me, I'd just stick with the 70.4 until I needed what the 2.1 has, because in some ways it's a step down.

Shane Burton

Agent
I should say, that my gut tells me to use the DTR 70.4, and keep the 807 as a backup. Both are stout, but both seem to have a history of issues with the HDMI board. My current display equipment is 1080; 120 screen, Epson 8350 LCD, I also have a Viewsonic 8200 DLP I could use a backup. I am kinda saddled with a lot of legacy equipment, I guess. But probably could go 5 years without a definite need for new. So, that also factors in.

Shane Burton

Agent
Do you have any need for the stuff the 2.1 has? Are you ready for 4K or Atmos? If not, why spend the money? The 70.4, power and new features aside, is a higher quality receiver. Either one has more power than you need. If it were me, I'd just stick with the 70.4 until I needed what the 2.1 has, because in some ways it's a step down.

I have plenty of speakers for Atmos, would need to get a new PJ for 4K. Screen is compatible.

I mean, I don't have a "need"...it's just more a wondering of what you are missing out on, I guess.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If it were my decision, I'd stay with the 70.4. The option is just spending money to sacrifice quality for features that don't present much value.

Shane Burton

Agent
If it were my decision, I'd stay with the 70.4. The option is just spending money to sacrifice quality for features that don't present much value.

Thank you, I appreciate your input,,,which is very sound advice.

On the 4k front, I would only have an Xbox One S to use as a transport...not going to buy another unit.

So, basically: screen, speakers, xbox....atmos and 4k ready.

Receiver and PJ, no. Can't afford 4k projector, anyway, right now.

Receiver gets me in the Atmos arena...have to wait on 4k. Anyway, logic tells me, stick with the 70.4. And I remember that one other time in my life, that I used logic. Logic hasn't failed me, lol...I have failed logic!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks